Strut bar questions- which one??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Strut bar questions- which one?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for a front strut bar. I know another suspension "which one to buy" quandry Which front strut bars are ...

I Support ClubWRX

Looking for a front strut bar.

I know another suspension "which one to buy" quandry

Which front strut bars are good? (best function,fit) What to avoid? (poor fit, break, don't stiffen much)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Strut bars don't really do much so just get one from eBay...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Strut bars don't really do much so just get one from eBay...
    OK thanks I had not thought about ebay.

So basically you are saying the 2011-2014 is pretty stiff at the towers or that strut bars in general don't help much?

Yeah. I don't know much about the newer wrx but at least for the 07 and below they are. eBay might cause fitment issues though...I would go over to nasioc and search strut bars on your model wrx. Just look for advice, don't post on nasioc cause people are mostly ****bags on that forum.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

ebay 40$bar working great on my 02 wagon. fit was ok, had to move a air cond. line but that was easy.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Yeah. I don't know much about the newer wrx but at least for the 07 and below they are. eBay might cause fitment issues though...I would go over to nasioc and search strut bars on your model wrx. Just look for advice, don't post on nasioc cause people are mostly ****bags on that forum.
    I joined NASIOC before. That's why I'm here!!!

I'm eyeballing a few options. Thanks again.

OP - I've got some ebay bars on the way that will be arriving late next week to try out on an 05 9-2x. For $60 shipped I figured why not. I'll prob throw the rear on first since it's supposed to make a difference on a wagon. Then I'll put on the front to see if there's a difference in feel. Then, I'll install a 22mm adjustable sway w/endlinks to round it out. This is all going on a stock setup with new struts all around so I'm hoping I can give an accurate assessment of the changes, one at a time. Long story short, I'll post back once they're in and hopefully provide some info!

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool. I need to search ebay..........

Got an update on the rear strut bar:

I installed it on my 9-2x on Wednesday in the rain. After removing the tower covers and cutting the foam, I installed it over the metal cap back there and re-tightened the bolts to ~15ftlbs. Overnight everything froze and it snowed so my ride out the next morning didn't have any noticeable differences.
    The next couple days had me dealing with varying road conditions and where I live is loaded with frost heaves, pot holes and uneven lanes.
    What I've been able to discern so far is this:
    - it creaks and 'tings' a lot back there especially when it's cold. Having the heater on high and/or the radio on drowns it out. The noises are clearly heard even though it's hidden under the privacy cover
    - any difference in handling is incredibly slight and barely discernible (at least in my current road conditions)
    - it may be a little tighter in the back around fast, sweeping corners like an off ramp. I got on it a bit today on a ramp I know extremely well and it felt 'tighter'. I'm also running on some severely balding Blizzaks at the moment but there seemed to be a slight difference (improved) handling
    - quickly jerking the wheel during long sweeping turns at lower speed (i.e.: 3,500-4k RPM in 3rd) feels like it 'points better'. It seemed to have less understeer for some reason but that could just be me reading into it

Overall, it's barely noticeable and I'm hoping it'll be a synergistic component once I get the sway bar installed and the front strut bar.

Hope this helps a little at least

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.