Race tires on stock WRX 16's?

This is a discussion on Race tires on stock WRX 16's? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got really into AutoX this last year and definitely did quite a number on my street tires (not to ...

Race tires on stock WRX 16's?

I got really into AutoX this last year and definitely did quite a number on my street tires (not to mention realized just how much I could benefit from race tires). I'm upgrading to some 17" wheels for street use come spring and I'd rather not rage those the way that I did my previous tires.

So my plan right now...

Get some 17's for street use.
    Keep my stock 16's with race tires mounted in the summer and snow tires mounted in the winter.

Sound reasonable?

I realize that the stock 16's are pretty narrow for race tires (16x6.5 I believe)... but I'd think with the race compound tires it would still be a huge step up -- and I'd rather not have to buy another set of wheels just for that use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Why not switch them?

17's for race use. That give you a more ideal size. Maybe a 17x8, 17x9. 245/40's or so.

Then the 16's for street use; snow tires and all seasons. Good size for snow tire performance and a good size for street use because the tires are likely much cheaper for that wheel.

Just my opinion. But I guess you want to run on the 17's daily for the looks?

I'd think the 17s would better suit you for AutoX use...lower profile tire will have more rigidity in the sidewall, and allow you to run wider of course. It will just be a better contact patch and be better for overall handling characteristics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    What class?

I know Avon made a full slick and Kumho made "DOT" 16s but in my area you'd end up running first class up (crack of dawn) with trailered cars, and I don't go that way...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You could put some Kumho XS (or current equivalent) top performance summer tires on the stock 16's with a lower profile. Diameter would be a bit undersized, but you would be a little lighter, and maybe accelerate every so slightly faster due to the smaller diameter and weight.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Why not switch them?

17's for race use. That give you a more ideal size. Maybe a 17x8, 17x9. 245/40's or so.

Then the 16's for street use; snow tires and all seasons. Good size for snow tire performance and a good size for street use because the tires are likely much cheaper for that wheel.

Just my opinion. But I guess you want to run on the 17's daily for the looks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    I'd think the 17s would better suit you for AutoX use...lower profile tire will have more rigidity in the sidewall, and allow you to run wider of course. It will just be a better contact patch and be better for overall handling characteristics.
    I completely agree that the 17's would be much more ideal for the race tires. But what it really comes down to is that if I'm going to spend $1k+ on a new set of wheels and tires I want to be able to enjoy them every day... rather than just once a month (or less). Especially since my car isn't competitive at all right now. Enough mods to get bumped into ESP but not enough to really compete with the cars in that class. Not that I'm really concerned much with being competitive... it's just a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    What class?

I know Avon made a full slick and Kumho made "DOT" 16s but in my area you'd end up running first class up (crack of dawn) with trailered cars, and I don't go that way...
    ESP.

I'll have to look into those. Our local AutoX events are small enough that all the cars run together regardless of class so being bumped to another class wouldn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002
    You could put some Kumho XS (or current equivalent) top performance summer tires on the stock 16's with a lower profile. Diameter would be a bit undersized, but you would be a little lighter, and maybe accelerate every so slightly faster due to the smaller diameter and weight.
    That's an interesting idea. Thanks!