Question about 16" rims

This is a discussion on Question about 16" rims within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello Everyone, I recently purchased my second WRX. It's a 2013 and I want to put snow tires on it. ...

Question about 16" rims

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased my second WRX. It's a 2013 and I want to put snow tires on it. Currently the rims are 17" and I would like to go to 16" rims.
    Does anyone have knowledge if a 16" rim will fit? The rims can be either Subaru or aftermarket.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Mary

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A 16" wheel will fit, you just need to make sure that you get the correct bolt pattern (5x100), and that you get a good fitting offset (stay close to stock offset - I want to say around 50-55+). Also, with the smaller wheel, you could go a little beefier on the tire sidewall to keep the overall size approximately the same as stock (maybe a 50 sidewall).

I have a winter setup with the '02-'04 wrx oem wheels and Firestone Winterforce tires on my 2012 WRX. Performs like a champ in the winter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I forgot to say that they're also 16"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Here's a tool I've used for years to help me figure out what different rim/tire sizes I can work with.

Tire size calculator
    '14 SWP STI

Thank you everyone for answering. You've all been a big help. Now it's time for me to go shopping! ;-)

Mary

Popular winter tire/wheel size is 215/55R16...

That's what I'm running right now...Blizzak WS70s on black steelies.

My husband likes the Blizzak also....he too said they have a good reputation. I found a few rims I like and they are not expensive either. I am looking forward to getting them. Maybe then I'll stop sliding down my driveway! Sure is s scary feeling when I can't stop.

Thank you so much for answering.
    Mary

I Support ClubWRX
    I currently run '04 stock WRX wheels with 16/205/55 General Altimax Arctic winter tires. They are the single best purchase I have ever made for any car I've owned/driven. Highly recommend this setup.

Blizzaks are good tires, but people don't like them because they're pricey. That's all. You won't go wrong with them.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    I currently run '04 stock WRX wheels with 16/205/55 General Altimax Arctic winter tires. They are the single best purchase I have ever made for any car I've owned/driven. Highly recommend this setup.

Blizzaks are good tires, but people don't like them because they're pricey. That's all. You won't go wrong with them.
    My only quam with Blizzaks is that they are only great for about one season. After the initial wear they are still good (much better than all seasons), but they go downhill quickly. Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy that I made that purchase (they are my current tires), however, I am going to be going a difference direction on my next set. I am going to be getting Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's. A little pricier, but I understand that they stay in the "great" category much longer than Blizzaks. Just food for thought.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I am going to be getting Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's. A little pricier, but I understand that they stay in the "great" category much longer than Blizzaks.
    The Nokians are widely regarded as the best winter tire money can buy. They will be the next winter tire I will purchase as well.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Oh boy, now you've got me wondering. I guess I'll let the husband make the final decision. I never thought this would be so complicated. I guess it's a matter of personal choice too? If only the car would have come with better tires..meaning not low profile...if that's the right wording. My last WRX 2002 was great and never had problems with tires. I got over 278,000 miles on that one and when I sold it and it still had the original clutch. Husband is a mechanic, which helps a lot and saves a lot of $$$$.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by larussom View Post
    Oh boy, now you've got me wondering. I guess I'll let the husband make the final decision. I never thought this would be so complicated. I guess it's a matter of personal choice too? If only the car would have come with better tires..meaning not low profile...if that's the right wording. My last WRX 2002 was great and never had problems with tires. I got over 278,000 miles on that one and when I sold it and it still had the original clutch. Husband is a mechanic, which helps a lot and saves a lot of $$$$.
    You are correct that the summer tires are not adequate for winter. I think the blizzaks would be fine (mine have lasted four seasons), however, just giving you some food for thought on some other options. Let's put it this way. No matter what winter tire you end up going with, it will be worlds better in the cold/snow than the stock summers.

Hey guys...new here. Have a 2014 WRX Hatch. Similar to the opening statement on the thread, I want to run 16" wheels. The setup I'm looking at is:

Konig Z-In, 16x7, 5x100mm, 40mm offset
    Yokahoma P205/55R16 W.Drive

Can I run these wheels with the 40mm offset? I DO NOT want to do anything to damage the car. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks much...

The stock offset for your WRX is 53mm. The effect of running lower offset over time is accelerated wheel bearing wear.

If you're risk averse, I'd stick to as close as the stock offset as possible. Your call...