Help. Strut assembly won't line up with brake rotor. Picture attached. 2011 wrx

This is a discussion on Help. Strut assembly won't line up with brake rotor. Picture attached. 2011 wrx within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Replacing springs. Strut assembly is too ****ing low for the brake rotor to let me reinstall the bolts. WTF did ...

Help. Strut assembly won't line up with brake rotor. Picture attached. 2011 wrx

Replacing springs. Strut assembly is too ****ing low for the brake rotor to let me reinstall the bolts. WTF did i do wrong? Spent 4 hours on this **** today!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140214_173322 (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	135633
    Please give me a call or text if you live near Ft. Lauderdale too. 954-873-7488- Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check that the axle didn't pop out of the diff or the transmission. This happened to me when I did the struts on my old STI. If the hub assembly wasn't supported from underneath once disconnected, it can easily pull the axle out of the gear box (whether front or rear).

You should be able to just push on the hub assembly to lock the axle back in with some minor force.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Check that the axle didn't pop out of the diff or the transmission. This happened to me when I did the struts on my old STI. If the hub assembly wasn't supported from underneath once disconnected, it can easily pull the axle out of the gear box (whether front or rear).

You should be able to just push on the hub assembly to lock the axle back in with some minor force.
    Theres no way that is it. I think I just need to give this bitch some force and an extra set of hands. Going to try this again tom am with some help

Disconnect the swaybar. Or stop being a girl and push that hub down until you can get one bolt in. Not that difficult, did it plenty of times in my '11, thanks to a revalved strut that a recurring leak (fronts came out and were swapped with the stock struts 4 or 5 times) so plenty of experience doing it without disconnecting sways, and this was with a lifting setup.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Ahhh, the frustrating troubles of suspension. I remember my first time replacing struts. Like Root said, you might be vag. Just be patient and work that thing in there...Happy valentines day.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011rexblu View Post
    Theres no way that is it. I think I just need to give this bitch some force and an extra set of hands. Going to try this again tom am with some help
    You're right. There is no way that's it at all. It didn't happen to me or anything...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You're right. There is no way that's it at all. It didn't happen to me or anything...
    Haha, I love it when people shoot down useful advice that is based on past experiences just because they don't believe it's that simple.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Had this problem on other cars before. As has been said before, check the driveshaft first. Also disconnect the sway if you need to. Another option is to jack up the opposite side to take the load off the sway bar.

Another option is to get a large C-clamp and pinch the strut/arm until they come together. A prybar helps, too.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Haha, I love it when people shoot down useful advice that is based on past experiences just because they don't believe it's that simple.
    Its like the commercial for almond milk, the carton says try me , guy says no I don't like it, carton says how can you not like it if you don't know how it taste, guy says that's exactly why I don't like it. Classic commercial made me think of that haha. Back to topic.