Tire Shenanigans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tire Shenanigans within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I recently bought tires for my 18" rims. I bought a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101s from TireRack ...

Tire Shenanigans

Ok, so I recently bought tires for my 18" rims. I bought a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101s from TireRack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Premium). I got the tires mounted at a PepBoys near where I live.

I've recently been having troubles with vibrations on the highway, so I took the tires to a different shop (Discount Tire Direct) and had them check the rims, tires, and balance. Turns out it was a horrible balance job... Drove the car the same night on the highway, no issues.

Last night I drove downtown, on the same highway I tested the car on earlier in the week and was getting some terrible vibrations in the steering wheel. So I took the wheels back to the same shop (Discount Tire Direct) to check the balance again. The manager tells me that the tires I bought aren't for my car, she said that load index is too low for the car (These tires have a load index of 91). Apparently the stock tire load index is 94. She's telling me that the sides could crack and I could possibly have a blowout.

I called TireRack to see why tires with a load index of 91 were showing up in the search results for my exact car, but the guy I talked on the phone with said that 91s should be enough for my car.

TireRack is willing to send me 2 new tires to try to fix the vibration issue and Discount Tire said they'll talk with Dunlop to send all 4 back so that I can buy 4 tires with the correct load index (I would just pay the difference between the old set and new set of tires). I don't know what to do and who is correct!

TL;DR I bought tires with a 91 load index (which TireRack says is okay) but Discount Tire Direct is saying that those are too low and therefore unsafe to drive on. Should I stick with the 91 load index tires or exchange them via Dunlop for 94+ load index tires through Discount Tire Direct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

TireRack is correct and the tire shop person has no idea what they are saying. Simply because the OEM tire had a load rating of 94 doesn't mean all have to be 94. Wow, I'd for sure stop going to that shop as they are giving you non-sense excuses via fear-mongering; I'd be P.O'ed if I were you.

If the wheels balanced out, and you don't have any bent wheels - then I would take TR on their offer of new tires to try and solve the vibration. The different between a 91 and a 94 load rating is about 100lbs per tire. Given that a 91 can handle over 1350lbs per tire, unless you are throwing them on a 5000lbs car you don't need to worry

So...what 18in wheels did you get?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by STiDriven View Post
    TireRack is correct and the tire shop person has no idea what they are saying. Simply because the OEM tire had a load rating of 94 doesn't mean all have to be 94. Wow, I'd for sure stop going to that shop as they are giving you non-sense excuses via fear-mongering; I'd be P.O'ed if I were you.

If the wheels balanced out, and you don't have any bent wheels - then I would take TR on their offer of new tires to try and solve the vibration. The different between a 91 and a 94 load rating is about 100lbs per tire. Given that a 91 can handle over 1350lbs per tire, unless you are throwing them on a 5000lbs car you don't need to worry
    Thanks so much for your reply, I kept doing the math and didn't see how it added up to be an unsafe tire. I'm by no means a "tire guru" so I wasn't sure if there was something I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So...what 18in wheels did you get?
    I bought this set of 18"s off my buddy a few years back, and had them on my last car (2007 Altima) without any issues. They're Xtatik Mass'.

A quick google search returns that 07 Altima's have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Your car requires 5x100 bolt pattern, this could be your problem not the tires.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, but those wheels look like they're double drilled, 114 and 100 compatible.

Hub centric rings?

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Yeah, but those wheels look like they're double drilled, 114 and 100 compatible.
    You are correct, they're double drilled, and are compatible with 5x114 and 5x100 and therefore fit both cars fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hurd.jason1 View Post
    Hub centric rings?
    Yup, have em. Although I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow to make sure the shop didn't take the rings off for some reason. I currently have the plastic ones, waiting on custom made metal ones to get to me.

I still haven't been able to determine why the wheel vibration is happening. These are the symptoms I'm getting:
    - 70+ mph
    - Prominent in the back, occasionally in the front accompanied with some steering wheel shake sometimes the vibrations will smooth out (sometimes just one, sometimes both vibrations)
    - It seemed better with a person sitting in the rear of the car.

Just checked the tire pressure after driving back to Orlando from Tampa, front two are 36.5 psi, rear right is 34 psi, rear left is 33 psi (which is weird because I had the tires re-balanced twice this past week, by Discount Tire). I'll match the psi in all the tires tomorrow and take the wheels off to double check the hub centric rings. I know some other threads say it could be a wheel bearing, but the car only has 6700 miles on it, I don't know if those could wear out that fast.
    Last edited by porkchop520; 02-15-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Well, heres an update:

Tire Rack wanted me to go back to Discount Tire to take measurements so they could give me 2 new back tires and see if that cleared up the vibration. However, because the tires are a 91 load index, Discount Tire won't touch them anymore saying they're a "safety hazard".

Tire Rack says they're fine, but they called Dunlop up to make sure, to which Dunlop replied no. Technically the math adds up to be fine, but Dunlop still said they're an incorrect load index for my car. So Tire Rack offered to take them back and give me a set of new tires that have the correct load index (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rtnum=34WR8SXL)

So now a set of new tires should be here tomorrow and hopefully all of these issues will clear up soon.

Now im worried, i have 13' 4-door wrx and just ordered tires 245/40/17 91Y and it was showing that was ok for my vehicle but after seeing your post im not sure if i should return them or not, i didnt mount em yet. I will be putting them on 17x9 wheels. Let me know how you make out pls!!

PS. not trying to thread jack just in a similar situation now.

Well, technically the math adds up:

GVWR: 4387 lbs
    Front GAWR: 2249 lbs
    Rear GAWR: 2271 lbs
    91 Load Index Tire: 1356 lbs

So if you do the math, the tires on each axle will hold a combined weight of 2712 lbs, which is ~500 lbs more than the axle will handle, so you think that it would be fine.

All I know is that the maker of the tires (in my case, Dunlop) said they were not the correct tire for the car and recommended against driving on them. There is probably some more complex variables to take into account other than the simple math above, but I don't know of any other calculations specifically.

If you bought your tires from TireRack they have a 30 day return warranty, so you might be able to return them with no problem, especially if you haven't mounted them yet.

Well the tires I am getting are

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2(Max Performance Summer)
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Size: 245/40R17
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 91Y (max load 1356lbs)
    UTQG: 300 AA A

So i dont know if Goodyear maybe has different opinions or not. Ive read where others have used a 91 rated tire on our year and didnt notice anything. I would like to keep the tire since i got them at closeout for a good price and have a lot of good reviews.

I saw people with our model WRX at the meet this past weekend running tires with an 89 load index, so you'd probably be fine. Best bet is to call Goodyear and ask someone in customer service to forward you to a technician and ask them.

I honestly have no clue why they said no, all I know is that it was the decision from Dunlop =/

Cool thanks man! appreciate the input, hopefully it all gets cleared up for you soon!

Well, I got the new tires and mounted them on the rims today and unfortunately for me, I'm still getting the same vibration issue in pretty much all the same spots. Really pretty clueless as to what to do now. I'm going to try putting the stocks back on this weekend and see if I have the same issue. Any advice/ideas from anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast