Suspension job, couple of questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Suspension job, couple of questions within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, Iím tackling the suspension of my car this weekend and have a couple of question. But 1st, here are ...

Question Suspension job, couple of questions

Hey,

Iím tackling the suspension of my car this weekend and have a couple of question. But 1st, here are the nitty gritty:

-2004 WRX sedan (112k miles with a lot of winter time)
    -Eibach pro-kit springs were installed 2 years ago on the stock struts (considering the state of the paint, it might have been longer than that)
    -kartboy front and rear endlinks installed recently

Hereís what Iím dealing with:

Now the to do part list:
    -KYB AGK
    -TiC strut spacers
    -Group-N top hats (front/rear)
    -Camber bolts (rear?)
    -Saggy-Butts (3/8Ē)

Now some background. I recently bought this car as my new winter ride. Itís currently at Stage 2 power level and I intend on keeping it at that. I recently overhauled the brakes and the last main thing on my list is to fix the crusty old suspension. The stock struts are not leaking surprisingly, but they might have ran out of oil a long time ago. All I know is that the ride is very harsh and a clunking noise can be heard from time to time. I donít intend on tracking the car (except maybe for some fun winter lapping on snow) so Iím just looking for a mild upgrade with decent ride comfort (at least not embarrassing when I have passengers in the car like it is now). I trust that the AGK (2nd click)/pro-kit combo will give me that but I guess I will find out.

Now the questions:

1) What alignment settings should I aim for?

From what I read, I should aim for 0 toe everywhere, zero camber at the back (hence the camber bolts?) and as much negative camber as I can get at the front (not a lot, maybe 1, 1.5). Is that correct?

2) Should I need to buy new bump stop? Should I cut them at the top or at the bottom?

Should I expect my bump stock to be trashed or should they be good? Especially since I will have to cut them. Also what part is best to trim off?

3) Am I missing anything else?

Thank you
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No one? What camber is everyone running here? Where are the camber bolts more useful? In the front to add camber? Or in the back to remove it?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Get it all installed. Then see how far you can get the fronts to straighten up. You will want some camber in the rear, 1deg to 1.5deg is typical. In the rear, on occasion, you can get the right angles with factory strut mount molts.

You can safely go for -1.5 degrees of camber all the way around and still maintain good tire wear (just rotate tires as you normally should to make sure). This will also dial in your new suspension parts to allow you to have much better handling (which explains the decent set of suspension mods you're doing, right?)

IIRC the Eibach springs don't lower the car more than an inch over stock, so they shouldn't require much in they way of cutting of the bump stops. I'd leave them as is. If you feel your car hitting off them after you get everything done, then you can go back and remove some if needed.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You can safely go for -1.5 degrees of camber all the way around and still maintain good tire wear (just rotate tires as you normally should to make sure). This will also dial in your new suspension parts to allow you to have much better handling (which explains the decent set of suspension mods you're doing, right?)

IIRC the Eibach springs don't lower the car more than an inch over stock, so they shouldn't require much in they way of cutting of the bump stops. I'd leave them as is. If you feel your car hitting off them after you get everything done, then you can go back and remove some if needed.
    I forgot to mention that this car will exclusively be used in the winter. Usually in the snow less camber is preferable, but then again 1.5 degree is noting extreme anyway so I might stick with that all around.

As for the springs, Eibach claim 1.2" in the front and 1" in the back. I went and measured my ride height and I have about 14" in the front and 13.5" in the back (hub center to fender). I believe stock is around 15.5" front and 14.8" back so 1.2" drop all around sounds about right.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

The spring part just helped me. I have an 08 wrx sedan. I was looking into getting the eibach pro kit springs
    So what your saying is that the drop isn't much . I am not looking to slam . Just lower a tiny bit
    Are you happy with these springs ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard for me to say. I recently bought the car and the previous owner claimed the springs had been installed 2 years earlier. The ride is harsh and jumpy on bumps and holes but I might very well be because the struts are shot. I will know more when I get my AGXs on. But drop wise it looks very good IMO.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
    I forgot to mention that this car will exclusively be used in the winter. Usually in the snow less camber is preferable, but then again 1.5 degree is noting extreme anyway so I might stick with that all around.
    I not following why you'd want to do all the suspension work for a winter street car.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I not following why you'd want to do all the suspension work for a winter street car.
    Because the struts are shot and the top hat bushings are cracked. The reason I picked the AGX is because they better match the pro-kit springs and they were not terribly more expensive then Excel-Gs.

Winter doesn't systematically means clapped out cars. I bought this one specifically so I could still enjoy spirited and fun driving during those 5 months where white stuff tends to fall from the sky.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I would skip the rear camber bolts at least. Not needed or very beneficial for street. And the stiffer top mounts may not be the best either for your intended use.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Group-N top hats would be a nice fit, especially as an OEM replacement in this case.

Good you didn't go with Excel-Gs...they are little better than an OEM replacement.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.