Tire sidewall has a small quarter sized bulge

This is a discussion on Tire sidewall has a small quarter sized bulge within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought this car (2010 WRX) and I am finding little things as I get to looking at it ...

Tire sidewall has a small quarter sized bulge

I just bought this car (2010 WRX) and I am finding little things as I get to looking at it more. One being this small bulge on the sidewall of the front passenger tire. Another being the front passenger wheel well lining looks like it had been chewed off (maybe like 6 inches of it).

My main concern is the bulge. There looks to be plenty of tread left on the tires. Should I buy two new front tires or do you think the tires will be ok to drive on?

My next question regarding tires is... Should I stick with stock size or go with a wider tire? Any benefits of a wider tire on the WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
    I just bought this car (2010 WRX) and I am finding little things as I get to looking at it more. One being this small bulge on the sidewall of the front passenger tire.
    Bulges are not unusual depending on the model and fitement. If there are no similar bulges on the inside or outside of the other 3 wheels (so, 7 surfaces total counting the inside of the wheel in question) go to a store and have someone there give you an opinion in person.

Should I buy two new front tires or do you think the tires will be ok to drive on?
    What I think isn't helpful since I can't see it. Go in person if there is any doubt. In any case, consult the manual on whether you can get away with only replacing two or whether you must buy a full set of four. This will be dictated by the level of wear present in the one you are replacing vs. a new one. The manual will explain the limit. Beyond that limit you must buy four, not two.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

From what you are describing it sounds like the cords in the tire have broken and that tire could blow out the sidewall at any time. It is basically just rubber in that spot now. I would have it replaced, but the issue is with it being AWD the tread depths have to be to a certain spec of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    From what you are describing it sounds like the cords in the tire have broken and that tire could blow out the sidewall at any time. It is basically just rubber in that spot now. I would have it replaced, but the issue is with it being AWD the tread depths have to be to a certain spec of the others.
    Just measured the tread depth. They are at about 70-75% tread life. Could I throw 2 new ones on the front given this wear?

so basically they are at 7.5/32" compared to 10/32 brand new. Actually, I will have to re-measure the rear tires. I believe the rear tires gave a reading of like 8/32"

Hoping I can just get 1 or 2 new tires given that these tires have so much life left.

If tires aren't within 2/32nds of each other, then you have to replace all four...

...or possibly get a new tire shaved down. I think some shops do this.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

well. I just measured the rear tires tread and they are close to 9/32" (8.8/32" to be exact) seems the front have a tad more wear, which may be normal... I think it's safe to just replace the front two tires.