Raceland Coilovers 02 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Raceland Coilovers 02 wrx within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So for days now I've been searching forums looking at the best way to replace my stock suspension with something ...

So for days now I've been searching forums looking at the best way to replace my stock suspension with something just as good or maybe a little bit better. I don't have very much money and I have a car inspection coming up in a couple months and I'm afraid my current suspension wont pass. It seems like the Raceland Coilovers are a good suit. They cost about as much as replacing the stock struts (without replacing springs) and all the recent reviews seem to be positive. All of the negative posts I've seen are from 2010-2011 and all of the 2012-2013 posts seem positive. I know all about you get what you pay for but I wont be racing or doing auto cross and I wont be adjusting it 20 different ways so I wouldn't get the benefits of high end Coilovers. My car is my daily driver and I'm really just looking for something that can last a couple years until I can afford to upgrade. The idea of lowering my car is appealing but I don't want to go so low that I have trouble going over speed bumps or have to make modifications to my car. So how much lower vs stock is safe? And if I chose Raceland Coilovers should I pay the $30 dollars extra to get the Ultimo with the extra spring rate? I do like the twisties. I don't care to hear comments such as "you get what you pay" for and "just save up" from people who have not tried these Coilovers. They fit my budget and as mentioned previously I have a tight time frame so it's the Raceland Coilovers or oe struts w/o springs it seems. Also wondering if I will only need alignment or if there is anything else I'll need after install. Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stephen
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 <--- Good Info
    2002 Impreza WRX "BugEye"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi. I have a 2002 Impreza. I have also had the longest running string of suspension upgrades and repairs in the history of this web site.

Raceland coilovers will be fun for a few months. You will begin to hear clunking sounds either immediately, or soon after installation. It is easy to ignore, does not change much about the improvements, but ultimately will damage other components in your suspension system.

I strongly recommend reconsidering that particular system. I would be happy to discuss a few other setups that are worthy of trophies at a track or capable of delivering a powerful handling package within reasonable cost levels.

edit: the reason for problems is not the quality of the coilovers. It is the fact that you are changing the way the system controls the car over imperfections in road surfaces. Because you are shortening the travel, you are changing the frequencies of vibration through the car. That is good and bad. Good because you get tighter control of the car. Bad because the car was built for road use as a passenger car, and the original suspension is tuned to absorb the maximum amount of vibration at all speeds. The new system, though designed for our car, and tuned for it, is made to alter the car's behaviours. It will also alter it's lifespan.

you can have one of these three things:

1. Fast
    2. Cheap
    3. Durable.

that is a rule...lol probably one you already know.

Stock struts and springs with new mounts are more expensive than the system you listed.
    That should indicate the level of performance you will receive to a degree.

good alternative for a bolt-on coilover kit:

KW Variant 1

if you ARE willing to save for a long time, and upgrade the rest of the chassis accordingly,

Bilstein PSS9 or/
    KW Variant 3 as prepared by RCE Suspensions

those are both renowned and winning manufacturers in motorsport competition around the world.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 02-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Wow, sounds like you've had some experience there. How long ago did you have the Raceland Coilovers and did you race with them or just daily driving?

Stephen

Also curious to know what would be a better option in the 400-$500 price range, if anything.

Stephen

As I mentioned before I have a very tight budget, short time frame, I wont be racing/autocross, and whatever decision I make will most likely just need to last until I can do a proper upgrade on down the road.

Stephen

I would buy springs.
    Save the money left from that purchase.
    You will soon need new struts.
    You can upgrade this system to one that is equal to the Subaru World Rally Impreza.
    You can also do this one piece at a time, relatively economically.

Springs are about $200.
    Struts start at $600 for a set that is better than the original damper, and also one which will have tuning in it to account for the 1" of drop from the springs.

I do not recommend lowering the car more than 1".
    That makes finding the right springs a little bit more challenging, but with swaybars, a couple of braces, and the right driver training, you will be able to whip around a Porsche.

Springs will give the most immediate feeling of improvement. You can get them installed for around $150.
    This leaves you at a $350-400 upgrade... leaving $100-150 to shop for a rear swaybar.
    Whiteline and Hotchkis are your best bets.

You will eventually want both front and rear bars, as only upgrading the sloppy rear one makes the front end feel that slop a lot more once the rear is all nice and tight.

It isn't dangerous, just annoying to drive with a soft front bar when the rear is nice and firm.

Any bushings you can afford to upgrade will be massively beneficial.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    In your price range, just replace the struts...or strut, that is broken in order to pass your inspections.

Then if you want to lower your car, sounds like the best thing for you (since you daily drive and are not interested in racing) would be some stock or OE equivalent struts with some lowering springs designed to work with OE struts. This will give you something that looks good with a slight performance increase without sacrificing daily drive-ability. I'd recommend something like Epic Engineering, STi Pinks, Eibacj pro-kit etc.

A step up would be something like KYB AGX and some stiffer springs. A step up from that would be Tokico D-specs, Koni inserts, or Bilsteins with even stiffer springs. RCE seems to be the preferred spring manufacturer around here. But with each performance increase, there is also a price increase and NVH increase.

The problem with coilovers is; most are cheap, won't handle any better than stock susp, and won't last you very long. The medium range setups from reputable brands will last you longer (I have experience with cheap coilovers on my last car, just stay away). The top dollar coilovers won't last long at all daily driving. Not because they're bad, but because they're not designed for that. A medium range coilover would suffice, expect to pay $1500-2000 new. Brands like Tein, BC, JiC, and KW make very good dual purpose track/street use coilover models in that price range. Several people on here daily drive coilovers like that.

You'll just have to decide what best suits you. But if you're looking to replace the stock susp, why not just replace the broken parts..?

Suspension Supersticky: Springs, Coilovers, Swaybars, S-Techs, fitment, tech, more! - NASIOC

That's the issue. All 4 struts are shot. So it's 400+ or so for stock struts or a few extra dollars for the coilover set from raceland. All the recent posts I find about them are positive but older posts are mostly negative. That's why I was looking for someone that owns one of their newer sets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Stephen

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It's highly likely if you buy cheep coilovers you'll be in the same situation in a year or less. I've owned cheap coilovers, didn't last a year. I never messed with any of the pre-set settings, no "stancenation" either, all I did was daily drive. I also made acquaintances with a guy fall 2013 who bought racelands new. They were fine for a couple months, then he sold the car. They did clunk a lot btw. A few weeks later same car, new owner, but looking for replacement struts. My experience with cheap parts...they're cheap.

Alright, So. I think everything should suit a need or fix a problem. So let's be honest here, do you *need coilovers? What problems do coilovers solve for you? What is our limiting budget? If you don't compete in motorsports and are a daily driver. Then no, they don't solve your problem and you don't need independent height adjustment, or spring pre-load adjustment, or 24 way damper adjustment etc. etc., and coilovers don't fall in your budget (asumption).

So here's the problem, Daily driver with blown struts and need to repair before inspection. What solves that problem? Replacement struts. Just get some KYB Excel-G / GR2 and be done with it. Based on your *needs, this would be the logical thing to do instead of take a risk on Racelands.

If you want some performance increase as well, then I would suggest starting your search with what I already posted. As would many others on this site who have daily drivers that want the performance increase or who may also compete in motorsports with their daily drivers.

My two cents is over lol. Thanks for hearing me.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 02-09-2014 at 07:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    GR2s are cheaper than $400, and would be a far better purchase than Raceland coilovers. I can't even sell you the GR2s, and I'd tell you that for your goal/budget, they are your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    What solves that problem? Replacement struts. Just get some KYB Excel-G / GR2 and be done with it. Based on your *needs, this would be the logical thing to do instead of take a risk on Racelands.
    This is exactly what I was thinking after reading the OP.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would opt for KYB GR2s with OEM springs over Raceland coilovers.

I would opt for a ham and cheese sandwich over Racelands. They are crap.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I would opt for a ham and cheese sandwich over Racelands. They are crap.
    Haha thats cold... Nasioc has a whole thread of happy Raceland owners. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...262616&page=11

Stephen

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.