What would you guys do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What would you guys do? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm starting to search for my suspension plus wheels and tires for this spring. I have around 1500-1800 for wheels ...

What would you guys do?

I'm starting to search for my suspension plus wheels and tires for this spring. I have around 1500-1800 for wheels and tires. Do you guys suggest buying more expensive "stronger" wheels and mediocre tires or cheaper wheels with the best summers I can find?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have a 13? Doesn't it already come with nice wheels and quite competent summers?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I put snow tires on my oems. Ill probably sell the summers that came on it . Or put them on my gf car.
    I'm looking to put 18s on for the summer

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What do you want out of it? And what problem is this solving?

...with the open ended question I would say get some RPF1's, they're my favorite. (17" diameter). Plus the best summers you can get, because I would be using it at autocross or a track day.

Rays or Volks can cost that entire budget...used, if not more. So the more expensive "stronger wheels" might be out of your budget if you want tires as well.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 02-03-2014 at 07:35 PM.

I just dd my car. But like the sticky feeling around corners that a good summer will give. I really want the rpf1 18x9.5 sbc but I can't find them in 5x100 anywhere.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good call on putting winters on your stockers...I did the same thing

It is hard to suggest a specific wheel, but nice brands include enkei, some rotas are really nice for your price range.

I would highly recommend the michelin pilot super sport tires for an awesome summer tire. I have them (as do other members on here), and they are absolutely amazing. They are OEM on a lot of porches and ferrari's for good reason.

I might recommend you think of staying 17 inch wheels as they are lighter, and also the wheels/tires are less expensive. You could still get a meaty looking set up going 17x9, with a 255/40/17.

Yea ill have to look at some other hatches with 17x9 with big meats. I would still need the rear rolled if I went 17x9 with meaty tires and a 1" drop right?

My options right now are the rpf1 18x9.5 or 17x9 or the xxr 530 in 18x8.75 in chromium black.

I'd leave it alone until spring. Then get a CHEAP set of rims, put the winters on those, get some good summers on the original rims. Save money and get a Tactrix, DP, tune etc...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Na I'm keeping my motor stock, I like knowing I have a warranty.

That's fine, then get a Bluetooth adapter and the Torque App - actually you can afford that out of pocket money. Give you the ability to read CELS out reset CELs, set up different gauges and monitor things like turbo press, temps, fuel flow etc... And how about sway bars and such? Improve handling, not that it's bad, but it can be made better.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Yea I have eibach front and rear sways already installed. That improved handling so much. That stock body roll is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    My options right now are the rpf1 18x9.5 or 17x9 or the xxr 530 in 18x8.75 in chromium black.
    No contest...XXRs are garbage compared to RPF1s.

What do you want out of the car? That should determine what you want. I wouldn't skimp on tires because they are what put your $25k car to the road. They play the biggest factor in accelerating, stopping, and handling.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yea true . Maybe ill just have to up my budget .

check dezod.com for the sbc rpf1s. you may have to call them but they seem to have them in stock often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast