What would you guys do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What would you guys do? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In 5x100? Seems like u have to have a group buy going to get them in that pattern....

In 5x100? Seems like u have to have a group buy going to get them in that pattern.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, the RFP1 is one of the lightest aftermarket wheels out there for the WRX. If the stock wheels have one fault, it's weight. Each wheel is more than 20lbs, while the RFP1s are around 16lbs, I believe (at least for the 17" version).

Invest in the tires, then find a good quality set of used wheels off nastysock, or a local forum.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by i8buffalowings View Post
    check dezod.com for the sbc rpf1s. you may have to call them but they seem to have them in stock often.
    ur the man!!!! i just talkedd to them. They do have them in stock!! i think im going to pull the trigger on the 18x9.5 38 offset. just have to figure out what size tire i should run now.

sweet! dezod is big in the scion tc world (my previous car) and i remember them doing special orders for the rpf1s often. im also looking to buy rpf1s but not decided on the color yet. would love the sbc but not sure how it would look on an ice silver wrx. may go with the black tony angelo set.

also i would suggest 255/35 tires. thats what i see most people with 18x9.5 wheels running and likely what i will end up using. will require fender rolling in the rear though with a drop.

yea the tony angelos are sick! my buddy has them on his blue 09 and they look awesome. Ive been wanting the rpf1 sbc for so long but was never able to find them. Yea im going to have my buddy roll my rears for me because im goingfor a 1'' drop with the rce blacks. Probably going to buy the conti dw for my tires.

my car is a 13 dgm hatch so i think the sbc would look awesome

awesome! yeah im sure theyll look great on a dgm. hopefully i can sell my old grids and get new shoes soon

haha yea. well since i upped my budget on wheels and tires ill most likely just run the rce blacks on stock struts for a lil bit. prob do the konis next spring

do you suggest camber plates? or will the stock ones be fine with a 1'' drop

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx
    have around 1500-1800 for wheels and tires. Do you guys suggest buying more expensive "stronger" wheels and mediocre tires or cheaper wheels with the best summers I can find?
    Tires > Wheels, but you can have both.

A few general rules to follow:
    1) Larger diameter wheels are more expensive, heavier, and tires are more expensive. You get less bang/buck all around for the sake of aesthetics, and I would argue that 17s typically look better on the vehicle than 18s, unless you're looking for the "stance" look, which I personally find to look rediculous (not factoring in any safety issues this look brings with it).
    2) Lighter is better. The less rotating mass the motor has to deal with, the snappier the car will be. The difference of 5lbs/corner is noticeable behind the wheel. Knockoffs are great from a price perspective, but the build quality and weight of them is nowhere near the originals. Personally, I wouldn't buy the knockoffs for those two reasons.
    3) Tires are the only thing connecting your vehicle to the road, so in terms of acceleration, stopping, and handling, these are the #1 factor. It doesn't matter how much money in aftermarket parts you invest, if the tires can't maintain traction, you're SOL. Don't cheap out on tires. That's not to say you need to spend $200/corner on them, but don't be afraid to take your lunch to work for a month or two to help recoup the slight cost difference of a better tire.
    4) With tires, you need to balance contact patch (how much of the tire will be on the road) and weight. Wide meaty tires are great for braking and handling, but will cost you in acceleration. In general, 235s/245s are a good "middle ground", with appropriate sidewal A/R to maintain your speedometer.

With that said...

As mentioned Enkei RPF1s are a strong lightweight wheel, that doesn't look all that bad. Personally, they're not my taste, but they aren't ugly and they're extremely functional. Expect to pay ~$250/corner for them, which leaves you $500-800 in your budget for tires. Since you already have winter tires, you can afford to go a little more aggressive on the compound than someone who didn't. I wouldn't advise going all-out with summer tires, but at ~$100-125/corner are the Cooper RS3-S, which are a pretty good budget tire. For a little more (~$150/corner), you can step up to something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are a fantastic tire at that price point, and would still keep you within your overall budget. If you want higher-end, your budget will have to go up.

Good luck.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

thanks for your reply man. But i am going more for a look than anything because im not doing any engine performance mods and i dont race my car. I thought about 17x9 but all the pics ive been seeing with 18'' make the hatches look great

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Tires > Wheels, but you can have both.

A few general rules to follow:
    1) Larger diameter wheels are more expensive, heavier, and tires are more expensive. You get less bang/buck all around for the sake of aesthetics, and I would argue that 17s typically look better on the vehicle than 18s, unless you're looking for the "stance" look, which I personally find to look rediculous (not factoring in any safety issues this look brings with it).
    2) Lighter is better. The less rotating mass the motor has to deal with, the snappier the car will be. The difference of 5lbs/corner is noticeable behind the wheel. Knockoffs are great from a price perspective, but the build quality and weight of them is nowhere near the originals. Personally, I wouldn't buy the knockoffs for those two reasons.
    3) Tires are the only thing connecting your vehicle to the road, so in terms of acceleration, stopping, and handling, these are the #1 factor. It doesn't matter how much money in aftermarket parts you invest, if the tires can't maintain traction, you're SOL. Don't cheap out on tires. That's not to say you need to spend $200/corner on them, but don't be afraid to take your lunch to work for a month or two to help recoup the slight cost difference of a better tire.
    4) With tires, you need to balance contact patch (how much of the tire will be on the road) and weight. Wide meaty tires are great for braking and handling, but will cost you in acceleration. In general, 235s/245s are a good "middle ground", with appropriate sidewal A/R to maintain your speedometer.

With that said...

As mentioned Enkei RPF1s are a strong lightweight wheel, that doesn't look all that bad. Personally, they're not my taste, but they aren't ugly and they're extremely functional. Expect to pay ~$250/corner for them, which leaves you $500-800 in your budget for tires. Since you already have winter tires, you can afford to go a little more aggressive on the compound than someone who didn't. I wouldn't advise going all-out with summer tires, but at ~$100-125/corner are the Cooper RS3-S, which are a pretty good budget tire. For a little more (~$150/corner), you can step up to something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are a fantastic tire at that price point, and would still keep you within your overall budget. If you want higher-end, your budget will have to go up.

Good luck.

yes.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Just got done ordering my wheels!!! should have them in a couple days he said. 18x9.5 38 rpf1 sbc..
    CANT WAIT!!! to bad theyre not going on for a couple moree months loll

What does the SBC stand for?

If you lower at all on these particular wheels, will you need to roll the fenders at all?

i think it stands for special brilliant color. and yea ill need to roll the rears

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12