Subaru WRX Forum banner

Steering rack replaced; lock-to-lock is now uneven

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rambo 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I just had a 2004 STi (34110FE431) steering rack installed in my 2004 WRX Sedan. Before and after the alignment, the lock-to-lock is not equidistant going both directions. I searched (maybe with terms that didn't bring up any matches?) and didn't find anyone with a similar issue. Before the alignment, I had to keep the wheel 35-40 degrees to the right to go straight. After the alignment, the vehicle seems to be tracking straight.

Could someone please tell me what the issue is?

Full lock to the left

Full lock to the right

Alignment printout - I have a Firestone lifetime alignment for the car. I wanted them to do a custom spec (was thinking -2 deg front and -1.8 rear) and they said they only do it to factory specs (which would be -0.25 deg front and -1.30 deg rear). I said that's impossible because of the springs the car is on (JDM STI pinks + Koni strut inserts). :| And the brilliant tech writes "Camber Kit" on the paper and it looks like he didn't even bother with the camber.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

-Loren

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Who installed? that install is effed. The steering needs to be put together in the right position. That is reason for returning!...:nono:

And I don't think that alignment is good, but maybe it is... Others will probably have comments on that. I have a coil-over suspension and am not sure what adjustments the original configuration has...

#3 ·
It would seem that whoever did the rack install didn't match the steering wheel shaft splines back up to the rack assembly when they installed the new one. I'd have them do it over.

As far as the alignment goes, that looks pretty good to me, other than the slight toe (usually target zero, but maybe that's the best they could get). Caster is fixed by the suspension design, unless you install an ALK kit, so that's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.