Widest wheel I can run? And help deciding between two wheels

This is a discussion on Widest wheel I can run? And help deciding between two wheels within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Plan on picking up a 13 wrx hatchback this weekend. Now for aftermarket wheels which I have had on all ...

Widest wheel I can run? And help deciding between two wheels

Plan on picking up a 13 wrx hatchback this weekend.

Now for aftermarket wheels which I have had on all my previous cars, I can't leave this one out.

I'm pretty much decided on volk te37's or enkei rpf1's
    18 inch, staggered.

I was wondering what is the widest wheel I can run on this car? And which would you prefer on a gray wrx hatch, wheels will be in an aluminum silver color either way. I love the aggressive look of a wide wheel and wanted to run 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the back will it fit fine assuming it's the correct bolt pattern and all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also note that it's still gonna be on stock suspension height not doing any lowering until I get proper wheels that sit with no issues with rubbing, etc. and I do plan on running some degree of negative camber

Aren't staggered wheels not good for awd? And I don't think you are going to get away with a 10" wheel without getting rolled.

You don't want to do staggered wheels.

Torque is the wheel expert round these parts, and there are other senior members who know more than I, but I seem to recall 18 or 18.5 is about as big as you can go without any issues.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Staggering shouldn't be a problem, as long as they are the same diameter.. However with symmetrical awd, rotating tires is necessary to keep your center diff happy.
    I also don't see a point in doing this BC having wider rear tires is to allow more grip on rwd cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Staggering shouldn't be a problem, as long as they are the same diameter.. However with symmetrical awd, rotating tires is necessary to keep your center diff happy.
    I also don't see a point in doing this BC having wider rear tires is to allow more grip on rwd cars.
    It's really just for aesthetic purposes and because I had an extra staggered set of bbs lm I wanted to test fit. I'm talking staggered just wider in the back not a bigger diameter. I don't like wheels bigger than 18 inch regardless.

But 10 inch is too wide without a roll, so would I be able to run a 9 or 9.5 even?

Well, I supposed you could do a staggered approach, you'd have to make sure that you size the tires so the diameter is exactly the same or extremely close (I forget what the exact variance you can get away with is, but its less than 5 mm I'm pretty sure).

Then the problem is tire rotation. Different tires wear differently, and you need to be careful to make sure you are rotating all 4 so they are staying within the specified acceptable variance. Not sure how you would do this if you want the wider wheels always in the back. Well, you couldn't do it.
    - Will

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    No. You have to think in terms of traction. Staggered may not be damaging under normal circumstances, but as soon as wheelslip occurs there will be a large torque (and hence speed difference) between front and rear. You'll work the center diff extra hard.

I'd follow Subaru's instructions.

OP: why do you want to run extremely wide tires? Your car's suspension will not be able to maintain contact patch on very wide tires, so the only difference will be 1. more expensive tires and 2. increased fuel consumption.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If anything, should be able to get away with 245/40/18s, thats the size the STI runs. For daily driving, even on stock tires I've not been left wanting for grip. After having a staggered set-up on my S2000....I prefer having all the same size....just makes life easier on both the car and owner.

I'd also suspect with a staggered set-up, if there was a waranty issue with the driveline.....they would probably deny it.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    I'd also suspect with a staggered set-up, if there was a waranty issue with the driveline.....they would probably deny it.
    Another good point.
    - Will