Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Continental ExtremeContact DWS within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I am new to forum, as a member even though I have been reading the forums for 2 ...

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Hi guys, I am new to forum, as a member even though I have been reading the forums for 2 years, since I bought my 2011 5-door WRX in September 2011. Pretty good college graduation present to my self!

I was not a fan on the Dunlap tires that came on the WRX stock, in particular my one and only attempt to use them in the snow. I am looking for a new "summer" tire but I want the tires to be able to handle an inch or two of snow, I live in Pittsburgh and would not be surprised if it snowed in August. I am leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires because they look good on paper, and so did Michigan when they lost to Appalachian State a few years back.

Anyone have experience with these tires?

Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	132066

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had them on my Trans Am when driving in the winter and they are also on my wife's Tiguan. Much better grip in all seasons than the OEMs it came with. They will have a taller sidewall and you may not like them in the summer going around corners. Steelies and dedicated winter tires?
    2013 WRX Premium Hatch DGM

I do have dedicated winter tires, but with the the inconsistent weather here I want something that can handle a suprise inch or two.

I've heard continental are pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan71 View Post
    I do have dedicated winter tires, but with the the inconsistent weather here I want something that can handle a suprise inch or two.
    Not gonna lie... I had to do a double-take when i glanced at your member name...

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan71 View Post
    I was not a fan on the Dunlap tires that came on the WRX stock, in particular my one and only attempt to use them in the snow.
    Yeah, that's the thing: Those stock Dunlops are summer tires and they don't really have any traction when the temperature drops below 40F. In fact, all summer tires don't work well at all when the temperature drops. If you don't want to invest in a winter wheel set, Conti DWS are nice all season choice, but don't be fooled: They're not the best of both worlds; You'll always compromise with all seasons.

I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 and they rock. They are good in the snow and have super good dry and wet road grip. They top consumer reports list of all seasons every time.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

I had the DWS' on my old car. They worked well in summer and handled the cold pretty well, but they had quite a bit of sidewall flex that I didn't like. Also, two tires developed nipples on the sidewalls from hitting potholes. (At different times)

I wouldn't buy another set.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I had them on my '08 WRX. I loved them. They were great on grip on dry/wet and OK in snow. I did end up getting dedicated winter tires since I'm in SE Michigan and we get some brutal deep snow and ice. I ran them at 40PSI spring-fall to stiffen up the sidewall. It made a HUGE difference. I actually have them for sale, but that's a drive from Pittsburgh. (10K miles on them) Anyway, quiet, smooth and very grippy with the proper PSI. I recommend them, but don't count on the treadlife they state on the sidewall. I'd say you'll get a good 30K out of them, but not 40-50K.

I have the DWS on my winter wheels.

I have dws on now, great tires. good in snow and better on dry. I highly recommend them.

I used Continental DWS's for the past two years and I would not buy them again. Decent performance in the summer and rain, but definitely NOT good in the snow and the sidewall flex made it feel like my car was going to tip over every time I turned a corner faster than 10 MPH. Putting them on a performance car like a WRX is a waste, in my opinion. Very spongy feel overall and the grip isn't all that great to begin with.

I've switched to dedicated summer and winter tires and I wouldn't go back. The summer tires handle rain perfectly and the winters are a 100% upgrade from all-seasons. Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that I would stay away from the Continentals.

I used them for my 05 WRX wagon, and they worked pretty good for me. Really good in all seasons. However, I do live in the mid-Atlantic region, our winters are nowhere near as bad as it can get in your area. Mine lasted me about 3 years before I was losing a bit of traction in the rain. In your area, perhaps it might be a better idea to invest in snow tires for winter and keep your current summer tires for the summer?

I'm running the nitto motivos and they're awesome. Great handling but can take on some snow too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have them on my 2014 DGM sedan, put them on for winter cause I had them on my Audi A4. Love them - yeah you can tell the diff from the Dunlops, but as long as I'm not an ass**** in the snow they are great. This thing will plow through anything! Tread life is so-so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast