Continental ExtremeContact DWS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Continental ExtremeContact DWS within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the tires are getting very missed reviews. What tires would you guys recommend? I have Bliztechs for the winter ...

So the tires are getting very missed reviews. What tires would you guys recommend? I have Bliztechs for the winter but I want to make sure the tire can handle and inch or two in a surprise storm just in case I did not get the Bliztechs on in time. Other tires I was kind of looking at were Yokohama AVID Ascend and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan71 View Post
    So the tires are getting very missed reviews. What tires would you guys recommend? I have Bliztechs for the winter but I want to make sure the tire can handle and inch or two in a surprise storm just in case I did not get the Bliztechs on in time. Other tires I was kind of looking at were Yokohama AVID Ascend and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season.
    You're in Pittsburgh, so you're getting similar weather to us Philly guys.

We run winters and summers. Winters aren't just for snow, unless you have studded, they're also specifically designed for cold temps, just as summers are designed to NOT be used under 40 degrees whether the roads are dry or not. I switch when overnight temps are at 40 or below consistently. If you have two sets of wheels, I'd recommend sticking with winters and summers and putting them on for the season.

You could get all seasons and be ok, but then you're giving up capability and performance in all the seasons.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

What summers would you recommend that will last longer than the stock Dunlops?

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan71 View Post
    What summers would you recommend that will last longer than the stock Dunlops?
    Without first hand experience, just going from treadwear ratings:

Continental Extremecontact dw
    Goodyear Eagle F1
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    BFGoodrich g-forces
    Bridgestone Potenza RE760

So, there's a bunch. Those all have higher treadwear ratings that the Dunlops, to varying degrees.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 and they rock. They are good in the snow and have super good dry and wet road grip. They top consumer reports list of all seasons every time.
    I highly recommend the AS3s as well. My previous car had the Continental DWS and they were OK at best. The sidewalls felt too soft and really compromised the driving feel. The Michelins are fantastic so far and they've had plenty of snow to deal with. Barely even broken in.

Tread wear ratings don't mean much between brands. There is not a solid standard for testing do one brand with a 500 ratings may wear faster then another brand rated at 280. But it's good for looking at different models of the same brand

Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    My previous car had the Continental DWS and they were OK at best. The sidewalls felt too soft and really compromised the driving feel.
    That's exactly my experience. The DWS tires had a very splashy feel and "barely acceptable" traction in ice and snow. I would never buy them again. They turned my Civic Si into a very poor handling econobox. I suspect that anyone who recommends them either doesn't drive in serious ice and snow or otherwise doesn't care about handling. There is no middle ground.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12