Thinking of doing some autocross
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thinking of doing some autocross within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good Morning, Help me out a bit here if you can. I was thinking of giving my first autocross a ...

Thinking of doing some autocross

Good Morning,

Help me out a bit here if you can. I was thinking of giving my first autocross a try in my 2014 WRX 4 door. I want to do a few mods that might make the experience a bit better. Tell me if this is a good route or give me suggestions on what else i should try. I would like to not completely destroy the daily street drivability if possible. My budget is about $1500 at this point. Iím not the type that just buys parts without at least making an effort to see if it is a good option so any help would be awesome.

Suspension:
    -Eibach Sway Bar Kit Front Adjustable 25mm / Rear Adjustable 22mm Subaru STI 2008-2014 / WRX 2011-2014 / Forester XT 2009-2013
    -Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar Type OS Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2014 WRX / STI)
    -Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar Type OS Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2014
    -Kartboy front and rear sway bar end links

Stoptech Sport Kit Subaru WRX 2009-2013 977.47008 at RallySportDirect.com

Or, I could scrap all of this and buy a set of coilovers.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I would do the autocross first and then based on your experience start looking at mods. If you really want to mod for autocross the first thing you should probably buy is some really sticky tires.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Personally I would do the autocross first and then based on your experience start looking at mods. If you really want to mod for autocross the first thing you should probably buy is some really sticky tires.
    I thought of trying it just the way the car is, but to be honest, I do not know a whole lot about suspension tuning to be able to accurately identify problems and solutions. Tires seem like a legitimate place to start, just didnít know if sticky tires would amplify any flaws in the stock suspension.
    I have a decent mechanical inclination but when it comes to modifying my car I figure having a humble attitude would get me further then acting like I know what I am doing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do events in current form, so you don't end up just throwing parts at the car. If you're not familiar with suspension tuning, make notes of what the car does and how you like/dislike it. Post them here, and we can help with that aspect. If possible, have someone record your runs to be able to view them later.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

With $1500 to spend I would stick with the stock class...mods allowed in stock include front or rear swaybar plus endlinks, shocks, catback exhaust...unfortunately race-compound tires are allowed in stock class so some of your competitors who run these will have a distinct advantage...rules are changing for next year, so I would hold off on buying wheels and tires, unless you go with extreme performance summer tires with a max width of 245mm and tread life rating of 200 as these will be allowed.

I have a '13 HB with Koni yellows (rebound adjustable), Cobb FSW with Perrin endlinks and 17x8 OZ Ultraleggeras with 245/40/17 BFG Rival tires which lower the car .7 of an inch because of the smaller diameter than stock. I've max'd the neg camber (almost 2 deg in the front) and run 1/8 total toe out in the front and 1/16 total toe out in the rear, air pressures for autox are 41 psi front, 48 psi rear...car handles very well with no understeer to speak of and little body roll.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...%20reduced.pdf

Sports Car Club of America - Racing Discussion Forums

The Sports Car Club of America - SCCA Board of Directors Approves Street Category Proposal For Solo Program

Better tires and lighter weight wheels...better brake pads, fluid, and stainless lines.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mbote131 View Post
    didnít know if sticky tires would amplify any flaws in the stock suspension.
    No more than your suspension upgrades will amplify flaws in the stock tires.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I want to get some sways and endlinks should i get adjustable or solid endlinks? thinking of getting coilovers or lower springs later, want to do one mod at a time so I can adjust to my taste. and feel the difference in adjustments and mods.

started my first autocross this year, and my first mod was dba brakes, hawk pads and lines. do a little at a time so you can feel the difference. and adjust. accordingly. but that is up to you.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    OP, definitely run it stock at first. You don't want to mod yourself into a class where you will not be competitive. That being said, 'stock' class does allow select mods.
    Here's a guide that gives you a general outline of the class rules. Still read the rulebook though.
    Auto-X Rules: Read This First - NASIOC

I would just spend the first several events with a good alignment and no other mods. Better to become a better driver first.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.