02 WRX Struts rubbing on the wheel
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Struts rubbing on the wheel within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 WRX that the previous owner lowered. with the stock rims the bottom end of the strut ...

02 WRX Struts rubbing on the wheel

I have an 02 WRX that the previous owner lowered. with the stock rims the bottom end of the strut hits the inside tire sidewall when I take a big bump. what are ways to get rid of this problem? would more offset rims to the job or do I need to replace the suspension? I want the cheapest options considered as well. thank you all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a stock spring set and an alignment (probably about a $200 total investment if you get used OEM springs, they are very very very easy to get).

Once the problem is solved, you can address handling issues based on your own driving skills and preferences. Youu may be very satisfied with the stock springs if you add swaybars. The body roll issues in the 2002-2003 (I own one myself and it is my only Subaru) are not cured with springs. That problem is addressed with sway bars. I am mentioning this because I don't want you to feel like I am suggesting a downgrade or reducing the performance capability of your car.

Is the rubbing only on one side?
    Have you had the car in to a shop to see what specifically is wrong?

what size wheels, also brand, and what tire size and brand... with those numbers I can tell you if the wheel sizing is causing any issues. Beyond that point, I may or may not suggest tires, THEN the springs.

Unless they are damaged, your struts should be OK to use again with the corrected springs.
    If there is any leakage, oil around the seals, etc., let us know.

There are a few of us here obsessed with suspension who have had every form of problem and/or done every modification under the sun, and are successful. Hopefully we can help you get this problem solved economically and quickly.

The 2002 WRX is an immensely fun car, and is a great performance sedan.

Before you buy anything, it is a good idea to answer the above questions, size matters...lol

stock tires and rims. as of right now handling is on the back burner and the struts seem to be ok. It is on both sides. I just don't want a 2 wheel blowout because of this. will pull the tires to confirm the struts are in good shape later today. thanks again!

turns out it is on one wheel only and both struts are intact. what I'm confused about is the strut should not even touch the tire even at full depression. and it doesn't. I swapped tires to see if it has the same effect.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.