05 Sti susp. on 05 Wrx?

This is a discussion on 05 Sti susp. on 05 Wrx? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello ClubWrx, I recently bought an 05 Wrx sedan on stock suspension (122k miles, 1 owner) with what seems to ...

05 Sti susp. on 05 Wrx?

Hello ClubWrx, I recently bought an 05 Wrx sedan on stock suspension (122k miles, 1 owner) with what seems to be every service record for this car, ever. Really the only "big" thing that hasn't been replaced (from what I can tell via service records) are the shocks/struts, and one would assume springs as well. Anyways...

When time comes for me to replace the shocks/struts my way of thinking is I might as well put the springs I want on it while I am at it. And for me, the first choice for springs&shocks for my 05 Wrx would be, Oem 05 Sti parts if possible. I would want the very least amount of lowering possible (if any at all), as well as being slightly firmer than Oem Wrx but not as firm or stiff as most aftermarket "race" springs or coilovers. So Oem Sti is my first choice, if I can.

CAN I put OEM 04, 05, 06 or 07 STI springs and shocks on my 05 Wrx sedan?
    If not whats is the next best option for my "criteria"?

Thank you ClubWrx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The "Will this suspension part fit my car?" thread. - NASIOC

Aftermarket springs designed for Impreza STi will be too stiff for stock struts. OEM STi springs work well though.
    05+ STi struts will not fit.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

So, no '05 Sti susp, does that mean that 2004, and only 2004 Sti springs and shocks will bolt right into my o5 wrx?
    Or does that only mean I can use '04 Sti springs on my 05 wrx shocks?

2004 Sti Oem springs and struts/shocks are a 100% bolt on deal with my 2005 Wrx sedan?

Can you guys help me decide which setup is more what I want?
    Either OEM 04 Sti springs and struts, or
    05 Wrx H&R OE Sport springs and Kyb Excel-g struts?

I want the least amount of drop possible, with the firmest setup, of the two above.
    H&R OE for 05 Wrx sedan claims .75"f and .5"r drop. Anyone know springs rates?
    How much would 04 Sti springs/struts lower my 05 Wrx? Spring rates?

Nothing adjustable, nothing lower. Either Oem Sti, or H&R OE/Kyb.

KYB excel-g struts are little better than anything OEM. They are just that...an OEM replacement. Also, STI springs won't really do much for your car other than increase rates much. If you are looking for better performance, then look for better performance parts.

I don't know why you're dead set on those combos...but if you want a solid set up for performance this is what I'd do: KYB AGX or Tokico D-spec struts and RCE Black springs, Group-N top hats, + a good custom alignment.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    KYB excel-g struts are little better than anything OEM. They are just that...an OEM replacement. Also, STI springs won't really do much for your car other than increase rates much. If you are looking for better performance, then look for better performance parts.

I don't know why you're dead set on those combos...but if you want a solid set up for performance this is what I'd do: KYB AGX or Tokico D-spec struts and RCE Black springs, Group-N top hats, + a good custom alignment.
    And good tires

I am not looking for a performance set up honestly, I would just like to be .5" lower, and a little firmer than new Oem Wrx struts would be a bonus.

I figure Oem STI springs/struts would be a hair firmer, but not as firm as coilovers, and would offer minimal lowering compared to most aftermarket springs.

I don't want anything adjustable, or low, or track ready. Just a hair lower, and a hair firmer would be a bonus.

So, I figure H&R OE Sport springs/Kyb Excel-g or Oem STI springs/struts would offer the minimal drop and minute increase in firmness. But, which of these two would be the highest (least drop)? Which of these two combo's would be the firmest?

I've only seen one pic of an 04-05 Wrx sedan on H&R Oe springs, and they seemed lower than .75" they claim, but could that be do to the Koni adj inserts he was using?

The car rests on the springs, not the dampers, so it had nothing to do with those.

The thing is though, regardless of if you want performance or not, you need to match the struts to the spring rates of whichever springs you get.

Considering you don't want performance, but you also want not much drop (so what do you want?), I'd guess just some STI take-offs would be what you desire. You might get a few millimeters out of that. You'd need whatever struts would fit on an 04 STI to match.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Don't the Koni yellow adjustable strut inserts have different height spring perches though?

Quote Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
    Don't the Koni yellow adjustable strut inserts have different height spring perches though?
    I don't think so. You're still using the stock strut housing.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff