Subaru WRX Forum banner

lugs came lose after plasti dipping

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Rambo 
#1 ·
so i plassti dipped my wheels last night. let them dry over night, i went and put them back on today. pulled out the owners manual in it says 88-110 ft lbs of torque for the lugs. unless i was looking at the wrong section ( im pretty sure i was in correct section) so i tightened them to about 95 just to be on the safe side. well, after driving on them today i started to hear a wierd noise so when i got home i got out and checked my lugs and multiple lugs were lose. i could move them around with my hand. not sure why they came lose if i torqued them properly. if anyone has any tips on what could have gone wrong please let me know. i have kids and the lasat thing i need is for my wheels to fall off while driving with them. im going to discount tire in the morning to have them check the torque on them. but i need to know whats going on thanks

#3 ·
Sure about that? Lugs/studs are a bolted joint and a significant portion of the friction comes from the interaction of the tapered mating surfaces. Plasti dip is much softer than a good coating/paint... especially if it gets hot. So there would likely be a lot less friction between the two surfaces. But, I'm not a wheel engineer, so I could be wrong.

Sent via sorcery

#7 ·
I plastidipped my winter steelies all over, including in the lug holes, and never had a problem with lug nuts loosening.

Improper torquing is to blame. Did you torque the lugs in a star pattern?

#8 ·
I plastidipped my winter steelies all over, including in the lug holes, and never had a problem with lug nuts loosening.
You're lucky, then...

Torque specs and the design are meant to be a predictable, consistent metal-to-metal contact with no lube on the threads also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.