Winter tires are a must

This is a discussion on Winter tires are a must within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought my 2014 hatch wrx last Monday. I was planning on new tires just been busy. It's been ...

Winter tires are a must

So I bought my 2014 hatch wrx last Monday. I was planning on new tires just been busy. It's been real nice here in Utah and wanted to go snowboard for a bit and figured it wouldn't be a big deal sense the roads are dry and I wasn't driving hard. Well the parking lot was all snow and ice, driving out of the parking lot I was driving about 5 mph and there is one turn out of the lot. My car didn't turn, no brakes. It got grip in dirt right before going off the road. So I'm sitting at discount tire right now lol. All the warnings that people give about these tires is no joke, get new tires on the car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Aside from the safety implications of equipping the proper tire on your car, shredding a snow covered uphill passing traffic in the right lane is fun as hell.

what kind of tires did you get? i just bought some yokohama yk580 for my subie, great all season tire. got them the day before a snow storm here and they held up real nice in the snow and ice. they are not a strict winter tire but they do very well in the weather. ill probably be sticking with these tires throughout the life of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoxdude6 View Post
    what kind of tires did you get? i just bought some yokohama yk580 for my subie, great all season tire. got them the day before a snow storm here and they held up real nice in the snow and ice. they are not a strict winter tire but they do very well in the weather. ill probably be sticking with these tires throughout the life of my car.
    Be careful with that idea - AS work well in bad weather when new, but once you have add the wear from a summer of fun they might not. Winter tires are a good purchase if you have more than a few days of real winter each year. All other things aside, there is very little that beats hacking around snow and ice in a properly equipped WRX

Not poking fun at the OP; but there is someone posting this 'advice' EVERY YEAR. There will just always be folks who must learn for themselves, nothing wrong with that - it can just be expensive

I am using Blizzak WS70's on my WRX hatch and they are awesome in snow.

Quote Originally Posted by STiDriven View Post
    Not poking fun at the OP; but there is someone posting this 'advice' EVERY YEAR. There will just always be folks who must learn for themselves, nothing wrong with that - it can just be expensive
    Jus the same as there's some people every year that think all seasons or even their summers are fine, then they post their damage...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

well, to clear things up, i live in texas. the city where i live gets snow every year. not a whole lot, and not for long periods. usually a couple days. we MIGHT have a total of 2 weeks worth of snow here. not worth getting actual snow tires for that little use. so thats why i went with all seasons. the yk580 have been great so far in all conditions. dry/wet/snow. if i lived somewhere that i had to live a whole season in snow id definatly get strict winter tires. but for what i have to deal with, and just for trips to go snow boarding i think the yk580 will work great.

Summer tires grip great in dry and wet conditions, pretty much anything 45 or warmer. Below that and the rubber starts to get hard and even on 10 dry, clean road, the summer tires will have little grip.