Lug nut too thick, would this be a bad idea..?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lug nut too thick, would this be a bad idea..? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I got some neo chrome lug nuts (the open ended kind, not the acorn) and they are the ...

Lug nut too thick, would this be a bad idea..?

Ok so I got some neo chrome lug nuts (the open ended kind, not the acorn) and they are the right size but won't fit through the hole in the rim, the lug diameter is 1.6mm too big. If I just grind around the head a little to make it fit through would that be very unsafe? It doesn't sound like a good idea I know, but 1.6mm doesn't seem like that much lol. Please don't give me ****, just give me your yes or no opinion, thank you.

Ps they are drag wheels and drag lug nuts, which I find strange that they won't fit together lol, just a side note though. And the acorn ones I have in fit fine (20mm diameter) the new ones have a 21.6mm diameter which I didn't realize before I got them)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Just drill out the holes in the rim to 21.7 - voilaaa... Well, actually a good bit more to get the socket over it.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Just drill out the holes in the rim to 21.7 - voilaaa... Well, actually a good bit more to get the socket over it.
    I thought about that too, but id rather ruin the nuts than the wheel lol. And the socket will fit fine, the shaft of the nut is an ok size just the head is big. What kind of tool or drill bit would I use for that? I'm a tool noob lol. I don't think I have a regular drill bit that big

Pshh...who needs lug nuts?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

And non-sarcastically speaking...don't do it. It's just a bad idea. Get a set of lugs that are supposed to fit. You'll be compromising the structural integrity of the lugs once you go grinding them down.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

^+1 Really, they would be cheap, especially compared to what may happen if they let go... (cheap insurance is the best...)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    I have usually found if I think something is a bad idea, and move forward, the results are usually as I feared.

I can tell you from personal experience, watching one of your tires jump off the vehicle and pass you is a very disconcerting experience. You will want to feather the brakes, not slam on them.

Yeah understood. Thanks for the responses. I can't find the open ended kind in the smaller diameter I'm thinking they don't make them. All I can find is the acorn which I'm not crazy about.

Just spit in the holes and force those lug nuts in. Always works when the hole is too tight for the tip, just gotta push hard enough.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Just spit in the holes and force those lug nuts in. Always works when the hole is too tight for the tip, just gotta push hard enough.
    Very true, doing it dry is never a good idea idk what I was thinking

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure the cone shape lug nuts are used for a reason.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I'm pretty sure the cone shape lug nuts are used for a reason.

Yeah my idea was to just shave the diameter of the widest part of the cone, so the rest of the cone will still be the same shape (therefore still sitting flush when tightened). I'm not arguing, just clarifying to make sure you knew what I meant.

Also.. Doing this would essentially make it the same size as the cone on the acorn style nuts I have on the car now. (Or so I would think)

Just FYI to the OP, orange is the sarcasm color. TheMoreYouKnow.jpig
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Just FYI to the OP, orange is the sarcasm color. TheMoreYouKnow.jpig
    Lmao jokes on me. I didn't know that, thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.