WRX top hats

This is a discussion on WRX top hats within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone installed COBB sport springs for a 2007 WRX TR? the front ones went in fine but the rear ...

WRX top hats

Has anyone installed COBB sport springs for a 2007 WRX TR? the front ones went in fine but the rear is giving me problems. the spring doesn't sit into the top perch at all. i emailed COBB with pics and they told me i didn't have the stock top hats. my entire suspension set up is stock except for the front springs which are now COBB. does the TR trim just not come with top hats for the rear? I know that the TR trim was for people to just get rid of a lot of parts and upgrade to performance, but did they not put top hats on the rear just for this reason?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Top hats are an essential part of the suspension...the TR suspension is the same as any other WRX of that year. So if you don't have top hats, previous owner took them out and never put them back in. I'm guessing he had coilovers and swapped the stock suspension back on, but forgot the top hats.

Have any pics of the rear assembly???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Your message implies you have top hats, but not the stock top hats. Please provide a pic of which top hats you do have.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Your message implies you have top hats, but not the stock top hats. Please provide a pic of which top hats you do have.
    yea I see how it sounds. To be more clear, I do have top hats but they aren't the big rubber ones like the front that have a little rubber cover for the strut nut. Mine seem to be just all metal. I'm not sure if this is stock for the year or what. I know the '02 WRX has the big rubber rear top hats. ill post pics tomorrow since I'm on duty(navy) and i cant upload anything from government computers.

It definitely sounds like the previous owner installed either adjustable rear tophats, or just solid-mount alloy ones intended for coilovers as stated below.

I recommend Grouppe-N tophats (Also a Subaru product, readily available online or through your local dealer). They are uprated (can handle more stress) and a good bit beefier than the ones that were originally on your car. Yes, they do make the ride a hair harsher, but for the sake of a stronger connection between the strut and body. This is a good thing, and worth the extra stiffness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161656.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	127370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161708.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	127378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161719.jpg 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	127386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161748.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	127394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161810.jpg 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	127402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161824.jpg 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	127410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131219_161835.jpg 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	127418

sorry for the late pics guys. just got home. im thinking they are the solid mount alloy ones.