Camber question :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Camber question :( within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i hit a curb yesterday :/ i happen to live in the middle of nowhere where its rarely plowed ...

Camber question :(

so i hit a curb yesterday :/ i happen to live in the middle of nowhere where its rarely plowed and started sliding down my hill of a driveway, and my back rim hit up against the curb, id say at about 10 or 15mph. after parking i saw this had happened.
    i tried looking but i cant see anything visibly bent, i even took the wheel off and put it back on and still this. does anyone know what this might be? i dont want to drive it too much until i know what it is, and id rather not drive it all the way to town to get it check out. any input is much appreciated, also if i replace the part that could be bent are there places that do rear alignments? as far as i know i read that the rear camber isnt adjustable so im not sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	126674
    Last edited by stevenferris1; 12-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Rear camber is adjustable. I'd be surprised if you've not bent the arm but it's only a photo and stranger things have happened. If you don't feel like getting under there again take it to a shop.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i have no problem getting under the car as long as i can figure out which part it is i need to replace. i just dont have a ton of money to spend on extra parts or at a shop unfortunately

not sure if these will help at all but here you go

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	126706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	126714

suprisingly i dont think my trailing arm(control arm) is bent but i got under the car and had a good look and if you can see it above, it looks like my lateral link is slightly bent which is pulling the bottom of my wheel inwards causing the top to stick out.

i did also see that one of the sway bar brackets was slightly bent but i cant tell if the sway bar is or not. if it was i dont think it would have too much of an effect on my camber or am i wrong?

( you can see the the bottom lateral link in the 2nd picture with the small bend
    Last edited by stevenferris1; 12-17-2013 at 02:52 PM.

swaybars/links won't affect your alignment...you definitely did something to alter the camber though...so I'd suspect something being bent like you have suggested.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

yeah im pretty sure its my lateral link theres a noticeable bend, its doesnt seem that big though so im just trying to make sure nothing else got bent with it

so just an update i bought oem lateral links and replaced my old ones.

wheels still bent :/

i thought possibly it could be the trailing arm so i disconnected that

no luck

then i said screw it and disconnected the sway bar

STILL NO LUCK

the only two things left connected to the hub assembly are the 2 lateral linkage bars and my strut.
    is it possible to bend a strut?? that has to be the problem since everything is disconnected
    any input is much appreciated right now

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When I bumped a curb a few years ago it looked the same. I had to replace the strut, trailing arm, and spindle.. then all was good.

I Support ClubWRX
    The strut body can deform, yes. I think it's rarer but can happen. If you can remove the old cartridge and replace it it's probably ok but if the old cartridge is jammed in or the new one can't go in the body is bent. Happened on Alfa Romeos with the Spica stuff in the old days. Fun times.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What does the wheel look like from the outside?...just curious..Yes, I know, I'm a bad person.

sorry i couldnt get a picture last night in the dark but rim is missing a chunk out of the lip otherwise after pushing the car backwards and forwards it doesnt look bent.

it looks alot worse in person but the strut is definitely bent, im hoping the trailing arm isnt bent either but my bushings are extremely soft so i think that absorbed most of the impact

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	127697

The very first picture show the marks of the thread left in the snow... Ref back to "winter tires", sorry...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

yeah I thought I was gunna be able to get away just two new all seasons up front but I guess not haha. I plan on buying the back 2 tires as soon I replace the strut

Did the wheel itself survive, or is it bent also?
    BTW, I bought my '09 in March 2011, went and immediately bought winters. I considered that to be part of buying the car. Also bought the roof rack, Tactrix adapter and a spanner wrench for my aftermarket suspension. I just treated that cost as part of buying the car. Normally I run on a tight budget, but this was (in my opinion) just needed. This winter season I got caught kinda with my pants down, didn't have the winters on in the first snow. Put them on that evening, after driving in snow with the summers. HUGE difference. Makes ALL winter driving that much safer. There's some money you just gotta spend, some that's optional. On these cars I think winters are not optional. Good luck with getting it fixed, hopefully it's just that strut. That should be relatively easy.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast