Snow tires

This is a discussion on Snow tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, This is my first post here. I bought my 13 WRX back around August and absolutely love it. ...

Snow tires

Hey guys,

This is my first post here. I bought my 13 WRX back around August and absolutely love it. I just ran into one little problem today, I live in New York and we got our first snow storm today, the car only has around 5,000 miles on it and I'm still rolling on the tires from the factory. But I have to say the car scared the **** out of me today. I grew up in New York and know how to drive in the snow and this is the worst car I have ever driven as far as snow driving.

I do about 100 miles a day to get to work and only use the WRX for bad weather such as today, but the car didn't even feel like it had ABS (I couldn't stop doing 5 MPH). I know tires mean a lot in the snow but I thought even with the stocks on it it would do a lot better. I'm actually to the point where I'm ready to trade it in as this is the main reason I got a WRX.

I guess my real question is is it worth it to spend the money on the snow tires or does it not make that much difference? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

snow tires vs summer vs all season tires

so yes winter tires make a BIG difference
    Just ordered some winter tires and steelies waiting till Monday when they are ready
    cant wait
    14 WRX SWP Sedan
    Fog lights, Short throw shifter, SPT Exhaust,

KHP
    +1 get winter tires. Remember tires are the only part of the car that contacts the road. So don't blame the car for having poor performance on ice/snow when you're sitting on a set of summer tires.

So you grew up in New York without knowing the importance of winter tires? I'm guessing this is the first car you've owned that comes with summer tires?

These cars are ridiculously good in snow/ice when equipped properly. I'd rather drive a FWD car with all seasons tires on than my WRX on summer tires.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Agree with the rest. The stock OEMs are summer tires. They are no good when temps dip below 40 degrees. I live in NY too & got around without any problem with my winter tires. Most of us have a dedicated set of winters.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

snow tires do make a huge difference. i live in Houghton, MI, way way up north in the UP, we have gotten 86inches of snow this season so far, 50 inches in just the past week or 2. I put firestone winterforce tires (pretty cheap) and its like driving around on dry pavement while everyone else is sliding up and down hills. I put them on after driving for one day on yokohama geolandar tires, which did okay, but the winterforces are a whole lot better. I'd say get the cheapest snow tire you can find, just make sure you get 4, otherwise you could screw up the differentials.

I have been in NY for the last 6 years and driven 2 RWD cars with all season tires, and I agree, the WRX with stock tires was the worse I have driven in the snow. One night I had it parked at the top of the driveway and in the morning it had literally slid down to the bottom. I just put on Snow tires the other day and in the recent snow it was fantastic (although I do only live on longisland)

No worries, mate. Go to winter tires and you'll have a completely different car. No reason to get rid of the WRX, on the contrary, it beats the pants off anything else once you have it on the right tires...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

As everyone else has said you need winter tires, I went with 16" steel wheels from Tirerack.com. They recommended 215/55-16's I had a set of 205/55-16's left from 2 cars ago. popped them on and they handle like a dream. They are Good Year Ultra Grip Ice.

I'm rockin' nine year old winter tires. Thing handles awesome!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

Whats up you freaks! In the same boat as this guy! Recently bought the rex, and its nasty! Assumed it would be horrendous in snow without snow tires, which it is, and know I need snow shoes for it. Debating on the Bridgestone Blizzaks (which everyone says are the ****) or this other tire made by Nexen. Supposedly the Nexen Winter Sport will last longer and give better performance when its not snowing. Also said to have the same traction as the Bridgestone. Obviously its a bit cheaper that's why I'm reaching out. Anyone ever hear about this tire? I don't need all the details as to where it came from and which children from whatever foreign country made it. Just looking to see if anyone can compare it to the blizzaks (which is a phenomenal name btw) or recommend it. Appreciate any info. Peace out, Freaks!