Winter Tire Size Recommendation

This is a discussion on Winter Tire Size Recommendation within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so I order a '14 WRX and hopefully it should be here in a few weeks. Before it ...

Winter Tire Size Recommendation

Hey guys so I order a '14 WRX and hopefully it should be here in a few weeks. Before it gets here I am trying to be proactive and buy some winter tires for it. I already know I'm going to get the 16" steelies for it, the ease of just being able to change the tires myself is definitely worth it.

My first question is will the 205/55/r16 tires fit on my car without any issue? I know the 215/55/r16 is the recommended size, but tirerack doesn't have the ws70 in that size currently available.

My next questions is if I can use the 205/55/r16, is there any benefit in using the 215 vs the 205?

Thanks All

(Also any winter tire recommendations besides the ws70s would be great, I would be driving in South Jersey so I shouldn't encounter crazy amounts of snow but I do travel to Vermont and other snowy areas occasionally)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had dunlop graspic on my wrx and dunlop winter maxx on my sti and enjoyed both of them. i rode in cars with ws70 and i always thought they were over rated (good tires but i cant see why they have so much hype). today in buffalo we got about a foot of snow and i drove my sti w/ the maxx's and i reccommend them, not to mention they should be a little lighter on your pockets!

assuming you can use both those sizes, i bet the benefits would be slim to none
    2012 wrx 5 door stage 3 + (traded in)
    2014 sti 4 door 297whp/329wtq stage 2 innovative tuned

If your keeping the car for a while then get the consumer report number one rated xice 3 by michelin, the 40k mlg warranty and really good ride llus best snow and ice traction cant be beat. Use 2056016 though as its same height and load range as the normal 2155516... plus taller in winter is better lol. Just fyi any winter tire is horrible in rain and handling. The blizzak is really noisy from experience and I hear good things about the goodyear if you can find it a lot cheaper than the michelins. Im planning on getting pilot sport as 3 as my winter tires but I dont get over 10 inchs... last part just my .02 good luck.

I run Blizzak ws60 in 215/55r17 only because I already had the tires

Been fine but if I were to buy I'd go skinnier still so the 205s

Over the years I've done a lot of off roading and always get a laugh out of the guys with wrong size tires based on looks

For snow and ice tall and skinny is best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk