for those who think winter tires are not needed:

This is a discussion on for those who think winter tires are not needed: within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That's what this guy thought. . . There is no question in my mind that the WRX pretty much requires ...

for those who think winter tires are not needed:

That's what this guy thought. . .
    There is no question in my mind that the WRX pretty much requires winter tires in conditions of temps below 40 and with snowy/icy road surfaces. This is a (fairly) high performance car, it's way more than that Kia and that went sideways. You gotta pay if you wanna play. The WRX is not a cheap car and should not be taken as such. I spent about $700 and feel it's one of the better investments that can be made for the car. Just a busted fender would cost more, after all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0395.JPG  
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm assuming those were all-seasons?

^They are, probably about 40% "meat" left...

I love how people get a car like a WRX or STI, then go cheap.

Either buy a set of winter tires or garage the damn car for the winter. You gotta pay to play.

I have all seasons right now. they do fine driven properly. My family has always had all seasons and never had a crash due to to snow.

Also Jimbo, the WRX is not some expensive luxury car. It is a turbocharged econobox.

I had previously only run snows since I can only afford one set of tires. I went through a set a year. Not worth the money So I figured I'd try some M+S all seasons. Should I turn in my WRX because I can't afford winter tires? Give me a break.

I Support ClubWRX
    All seasons are usually 3 seasons.

Continental DWS are true 4 seasons. (Dry wet snow). If you're going to drive on all seasons, make sure they're 4 seasons
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Went through a set of snow tires in1 season??? How? Mine last at least 3 seasons

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No thanks.. I'll stick to my summer tires. :P

My current winters are the set from last winter, new then. They ran 7 month last season, still look like new and went back on for this winter. my mileage is just about average, so I expect these winter tires to last at least 4 winter seasons, probably as much as 6...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    I have all seasons right now. they do fine driven properly. My family has always had all seasons and never had a crash due to to snow.

Also Jimbo, the WRX is not some expensive luxury car. It is a turbocharged econobox.

I had previously only run snows since I can only afford one set of tires. I went through a set a year. Not worth the money So I figured I'd try some M+S all seasons. Should I turn in my WRX because I can't afford winter tires? Give me a break.
    Don't forget the new WRX comes with summer tires stock, not all seasons. While certain all-seasons are acceptable for winter use, NO summer tire is.

Furthermore, there are varying levels of effectiveness within all-seasons. For example, my parents have all-seasons with the winter snowflake symbol on their SUV tires. These provide excellent grip in snow (which I've had lots of time to test), but of course are sacrificing dry summer grip, which is fine in an SUV. Also, the tires don't last very long since their tread is optimized for the cold, so the compound gets mushy and wears faster in the hot summer days.

Conversely, my Outback had all-seasons that behaved very much like summer tires, with outstanding traction in warmer dry and wet weather, but quickly got sketchy when the temperatures dropped.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

You're not kidding.. I was a little late putting the snow tires on this year and got caught in the snow and it was terrifying. It did alright as long as I was on the gas but the first time I hit the brakes doing about 5 mph, the car slid up to about 10 mph. I went home and did a quick NASCAR tire change and it's just a completely different car. Without a doubt the snow tires are the best investment you'll make.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    Went through a set of snow tires in1 season??? How? Mine last at least 3 seasons
    I drive roughly 15k in a winter, and they see rallycross duty in the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    I drive roughly 15k in a winter, and they see rallycross duty in the Summer.
    Well that is your problem. Once the temps start to stay consistently above 40 degrees you need to swap the winter tire with summer. Winter tires use a different rubber compound and they wear out very fast when it is hot outside. You should be able to get three seasons minimum out of dedicated winter tires if you switch them properly.

^yup