front tower brace

This is a discussion on front tower brace within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking at adding a front tower brace. I am still very new to Subaru and how everything works. ...

Question front tower brace

I am looking at adding a front tower brace. I am still very new to Subaru and how everything works. I see very many styles of tower braces and am wondering if there is a any major advantages to a single mount like grimmspeeds version were it only mounts to like one screw/bolt.
    Strut Tower Brace - BRZ/FR-S - GrimmSpeed

And other brands that utilize all three bolts, Megans version.

Megan Racing Subaru WRX STi 08+ Race Spec Strut Tower Bar

And is this a mod I will see in daily driving. I dont do track. I wish. But I do like to do spirited driving, high speed cornering. And what about the rear bar. Do I need to install the rear if I do the front. I am not sure if I want the bar taking up my trunk space. I am a electrician and this is my DD and I put my tools in the trunk. so is there a version that doesnt go through the truck.
    Cheers, And any other handling tips would be great. BTW, I do have front and back Sway bars and end links.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Strut braces are relatively "for show." That said, you may notice a slight difference if you do both.

My recommendation is to look into bushing kits for the tranny and subframe. Best bang for buck handling/shifting mods. Really cheap, and they really tighten up the drivetrain.

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

If you read the reviews of the grimmspeed brace everyone says WOW!!!
    Best mod to start with.
    Can feel it right away
    ETC.......
    I was just at the only tuner shop in sudbury today after posting this. D & I Performance Shop. He pretty much said it is a decent mod, But he felt the brace that utilized the most bolts would be the one to get as it connects to the car better.
    I think I will look for a used one online somewhere. If I can get a cheap one somewhere. Couldn't hurt. He also recommended I get a proper Alignment with some Neg Camber to help with the under-steer with my WRX.
    I have been reading a killer book called
    Training WRX 3rd edtion. In there they also talk about this being one of the first things someone should get as it greatly can offset the under steer and help the car corner better overall.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Strut tower bars are largely useless for daily driving and the impreza in general, even in "spirited" driving. The mounting points are real close to the firewall. You'd be better to invest it in something else.

There are other things that will be more beneficial for handling that you should do first.

Bushings
    ALK
    Subframe lockdown bolts

Alignment hardware
    Tires/wheels
    Struts/Springs
    Sways

Strut bars are pointless unless they are a solid bar like the Grimmspeed one. If they have hinges at the mount points, then that still leaves plenty of room for lateral flex, which is what you are trying to avoid.

The Megan Racing one is a piece of garbage.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying