Brembo Fitment questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brembo Fitment questions within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First of all, I've searched for about a week and I think I know all there is to know about ...

Brembo Fitment questions

First of all, I've searched for about a week and I think I know all there is to know about Brembo's, so i don't want to hear use the search button. Here's my dilema. I have a 2011 wrx, and eventually I want to pick some junked brembos and bring them back to life. I know what I'll need, however the problem is winter time, because I don't' want to ditch my bugeye winter wheels. So, I was thinking, as long as I make sure the threads on the calipers are good and there's anti-seize on then, then I could just swap back to my stock hardware for the winter.

So here's my question, will the brembo rears clear the bugeye wheels? Now before everyone starts bitching about how my bias will be off, well it already is. I have Cl RC5 pads with cryo rotors in the front and there is already way too much front brake bias. So i figure in the winters my current front hardware would be decently matched to the brembo rears, and then when the weather is nice, i can put on my summer wheels and the front calipers.

Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Doubt it. Some 17" STI wheels will clear STI Brembos, but it also depends on the spoke design and offset. I know the stock 17" wheels on 2011+ WRXs will clear STI Brembos, but only with a 3mm spacer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bugeye wheels will not fit the Brembo brakes from a Subaru, no.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Doubt it. Some 17" STI wheels will clear STI Brembos, but it also depends on the spoke design and offset. I know the stock 17" wheels on 2011+ WRXs will clear STI Brembos, but only with a 3mm spacer.
    only some STI wheels will clear STI brakes?

JDMFantasy2k... Here's another option to think about:
    The 06-07 WRX brakes are the same brakes that the JDM STi's (Pre 2004) came with and they were used on the Group N race cars. They are also the same calipers off the 300zx turbos. They are a lot cheaper than brembo brakes, and the pads and rotors are also cheaper. They also will take a lot less modification to make happen (KB Brackets only) and they WILL fit underneath your 2002 bugeye wheels, as long as you use a 5mm spacer.

When I went from my 06 brakes with DBA rotors and Ferodo ds2500 pads to my Brembos with brembo rotors and brembo pads... I felt like I lost a LOT of braking ability. The 06/07 brakes were way too much brake than what the average WRX user could ever use. That's why in 08 they went back to cheaper sliding calipers.

You won't be able to say "I have brembos" but... if you put the right pads and rotors on them, you will be able to say "I've got better brakes than your STI".

Also (seeing that you're a JDM guy... If you get the black ones, you can most assuredly state that you have JDM STI brakes )
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Forgot to mention. Brembo seal kits only include the piston seals. There are other seals that wear out, that you cannot purchase on the consumer market. I would HATE to see you walk into a set of junked brembos, and try and repair them, and not be able to because you didn't know the seals are unavailable. They're not just standard O rings. They're high heat resistant viton elastomer seals.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Same here, Z32 4/2 pots or WRX 4/2 pots.

[QUOTE=Sinister;3198538]only some STI wheels will clear STI brakes? [QUOTE]

Sorry...obviously all STI OEM wheels will clear Brembos. 17" aftermarket wheels that have the same hub pattern as the STI may or may not clear Brembos. That's what I meant.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Forgot to mention. Brembo seal kits only include the piston seals. There are other seals that wear out, that you cannot purchase on the consumer market. I would HATE to see you walk into a set of junked brembos, and try and repair them, and not be able to because you didn't know the seals are unavailable. They're not just standard O rings. They're high heat resistant viton elastomer seals.
    False.

Everything is available for a full rebuild from centric.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah. That makes more sense.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Here is the deal, unfortunately your best bet is to sell the bugeye winter wheels and buy some steel wheels that will work in the winter for Brembos.

You will need to purchase a rear caliper bracket from KNS or Gear Headz Custom Motorwerks, you will need to modify your rear dust shields as well.. So it really isn't a swap back and forth type ordeal. I've done this numerous times so if you have questions PM me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Ah. That makes more sense.

Brembo does not sell the O ring that resides between the pieces of the caliper so if you actually seperate the Brembo halves that O ring is not available from Brembo, but centric has it available.

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=JimboWRX;3198650][QUOTE=Sinister;3198538]only some STI wheels will clear STI brakes?

Sorry...obviously all STI OEM wheels will clear Brembos. 17" aftermarket wheels that have the same hub pattern as the STI may or may not clear Brembos. That's what I meant.
    Only 1 year of STi wheels will fit your hubs. 2004 STi wheels were 5x100. All STis after were 5x114.3

I Support ClubWRX
    What you need:

Front Brembos
    Front Brembo caliper brackets
    Front 2004 STi rotors (or DBA rotors for STi because dual drilled)
    Rear Brembos
    Rear Brembo caliper adapter 08+(source KNS or Gear Headz Custom Motorwerks)
    DBA rear rotors 08+ STi or have a machine shop drill other 08+ STi rotors to 5x100

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post

Brembo does not sell the O ring that resides between the pieces of the caliper so if you actually seperate the Brembo halves that O ring is not available from Brembo, but centric has it available.
    That's the O ring I was talking about. I just looked at the centric rebuild kit and it just lists dust boots and seals... Unless you know something I don't!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, something that cars equipped with 5x100 hubs, and brembo calipers experience is called "knock back". The large rotor means with hub movement (lateral movement, ie: high G turns) the brake pads get pushed back. It means when you hit the brakes your foot falls to the floor and then you have to hit the brakes again to actually brake. It's scary, and I can attest that it happens (look at my build... I had brembos on 5x100 hubs). The 5x114.3 hubs are much stronger and the knock back issue doesn't happen.

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor.../pad-knockback

Edit: found this. Agrees with all the points I've made

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1165064
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast