parking brake problem

This is a discussion on parking brake problem within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok so i screwed up the other day and left my p-brake on and backed out of a parking spot, ...

Exclamation parking brake problem

ok so i screwed up the other day and left my p-brake on and backed out of a parking spot, the car didnt act like the brake was engaged, so i didnt realize it, until the car stopped, and i mean stopped like i backed into a brick wall. now there is resistance, only when backing up, when the car is on a downward slope itll roll forward when not in gear, but it will not roll backwards at all and when you put the car in reverse, you have to fight the P-brake to get it to go backwards, i dont want to break something by causing extra wear on the tranny and brakes, Any ideas are appreciated,thank youalso just as a side not, the brakes have been squealing for about 3 weeks now, i have pads and rotors just havent had a day to change them yet. and also about the e-brake, when i put the car in reverse itll roll back about three feet, then it feels like the brake locks up and you have to give a ton of extra gas to get it to roll backwards, and it makes the brake grinding or like bump bump bump sound like its stopping while im backing up.
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you probably shouldnt keep trying to drive the car with the parking brake engaged. pull the rear brakes and rotors off and make sure the shoes behind the hub are still intact and none of the springs are broken, the shoes arent binding, nothign of that sort for starters. take some pics of it too and post them up so we can see if theres anything out of whack

yea im trying not to drive it as much as possible, but the thing is, is that it only feels like its engaging when im going in reverse it feels fine when im moving forward, i have to think thats significant
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

Take it to a dealership! That's a serious problem man

do you know what the problem is/may be? just so i can know what to tell them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Tell them you believe the parking brake has seized and is preventing the car from being reversed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok ill do that but one last thing is there any ideas why when i put it in reverse itll roll backwards like five six feet then stop as if it has suddenly engaged, then i have to add extra gas just to get it to move(i have to back up ya know) , even though the parking brake lever is completely down as if completely disengaged. any idea if i can jack up the car and disengage the Pbrake then disengage it so it wont reengage, then engage the p brake and tighten up the pressure?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can adjust the parking brake from under the car, yes, unless they've changed arrangements. On older cars there was a rubber grommet on the inside of the back of the brake disk, through which one could access a toothed wheel using a screwdriver. The tooth wheel is what determined how tightly the parking brake's liners engaged, by clicking one way or another on the teeth to set the liner gap.

However this is under normal conditions. Your car is not acting normally. If you are sure this has nothing to do with hill assist -- about which I know nothing -- and/or you have a warranty or are unable to fix it yourself, take it in.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yea i have an 03 wrx so no hill assist whatso ever i just wanna look at it beofre i take it in and give the dealership another thousand dollars to fix something that may take me an hour...

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so first choice DIY -- search here there are threads how to fix the hand brake -- second choice independent shop, very last choice dealer.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'll head over in a bit and check it out. The dealership is going to want $$ just to look at it. Parking brake is one of the few things I've never had to fool with on any of my Subahroos, but I can't imagine it will be that difficult to figure out what's going on..

Okay.. so not the e - brake. The inner pad on the front driver's side was all but nonexistent, and the rotor was all chewed up. Strangely, the outer pad still had a good bit left on it. What would cause the pads to wear so unevenly like that?

We replaced the pads and that rotor and it wasn't binding anymore, but there is still a grinding noise on deceleration, and that rotor was extremely hot after taking it around the block.. much hotter than the other side.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you assess whether the rotor is warped and if it's seated flat on the hub? Does the caliper work correctly or is one pad dragging?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Can you assess whether the rotor is warped and if it's seated flat on the hub? Does the caliper work correctly or is one pad dragging?

The rotor is brand new, and it doesn't look or feel as if it was warped in any way. I can't see anything that would prevent it from seating flush on the spindle either. As far as the caliper, it seems to be functioning correctly, but with one of the pads being beyond completely worn down and the other one with at least 40% left, something is not right. The pad is clearly dragging on the rotor, but I can't tell why.. I don't have much experience with brakes other than maintenance or upgrades. Driving the car, it seems to be functioning perfectly, but on decel you can hear it dragging, and the rotor gets super hot.. I'm stumped.

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If your brake bads arent wearing out evenly, that means your rotar needs servicing because its not even. Does the brake pedal vibrate, when you brake?

Edit:
    Common causes:
    1. Brake drag is caused by several things, such as the incorrect brake pedal adjustment. This is extremely crucial because when its adjusted too tightly the compensation and vent port of the master cylinder can be blocked.

2. Pressure may be trapped in the brake line, and this happens when the line is kinked or pinched and the pressure is high enough while applying the brakes to bypass the kink. But when the pedal is released, the spring pressure of the master cylinder is not sufficient to bypass the pinch or kink, but the kink leaving the brakes still apply.

3. The return springs may be weak or broken and will cause brake drag. This usually happens with drum brake systems.

4. The sliding and the moving parts of the brakes require lubrication to prevent it from binding. I would lubricate the slide pins on disc brakes to prevent the brake drag and binding.

How to fix it, possibly

Remove the retaining clip from the caliper and remove the pads.
    Than spray down the inside of the caliper with brake cleaner, and remove all brake dust from the caliper slide pins. Usually, when too much brake dust build on them, it will stop the brake caliper from retracting normally...this is what causes your brake pads to drag on the rotor.

Sometimes the caliper slide pins will be rusted, damaged or corroded...REPLACE THEM.
    Now, lastly...lubricate the caliper slide pins with white lithium grease, and put the brake pads and brake pad retaining clip back..

Now put everything back together....and pump your brakes. Now try turning the wheel with your hand...did it fix? Take it for a ride and test them...

Source: I'm in a advanced mechanic automotive class.
    Last edited by kedonot1; 11-26-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    Need help diagnosing check engine codes? Just message me!