Tire size question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tire size question within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The stock 2011 wrx tires are 235/45r17. Is it ok to use 235/50r17 tires instead? What are the negatives of ...

Tire size question

The stock 2011 wrx tires are 235/45r17. Is it ok to use 235/50r17 tires instead? What are the negatives of going up in size by just a little? Thank you for the help. I'm just tire shopping and looking for options.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no there is nothing wrong with doing that. it's really just a look/ride thing. the ride quality of a larger sidewall will be a little softer, but the handling will suffer a little. i took mine from 35 to 45 because the ride quality was terrible. handling, meh, didn't really notice the difference much because i don't push it that hard in corners.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind. I don't track my car or anything. Just some spirted driving and a little bit of twisties now and then. Now if i switch over from 235/45 to 215/50, would that be a better match? speedo readings would be more on point, but will that decrease in contact width affect the ride and suspension that much?

I wouldn't bother...increasing the sidewall height without the width could cause your speedo to become inaccurate to a degree. Plus, you'll lose handling even during that spirited driving in the twisties.

And don't bother dropping to a 215...why have less contact patch and more stretch?

I don't see what you're trying to accomplish here. There are a ton of tire options at for a 17x8 wheel.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I was looking at the Cooper cs4 and it doesn't come in a 235/45 size so I was wondering what would be the downside of replacing the current stock tires with a different size. Maybe I'll just get the Cooper Zeon RS3-A, they do have them in my size...hmmmm

I am doing a winter wheel and tire package from tire rack and there is a continental winter extreme for $118 with great reviews, much cheaper than the michelin ice and bridgestone blizzack. Only problem with continental is that this tire only comes in a 205 50 17 i stead of the original 235 45 17. If i u derstand right, a 205 50 actually has a lower profile than a 235 45.. is that right? Also, would this alternate size be ok for winter tires? Im not sure but the price is good

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If its stretches enough it could have a lower profile. But a 50 sidewall is larger than 45.

I agree but i just thought stretching a 205 on a 7.5 or 8 inch wheel would produce a slight lower profile than the stock..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.