autocross mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on autocross mods within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my dads friend does autocross and iwas talking to him about it earlier and just did some more research on ...

autocross mods

my dads friend does autocross and iwas talking to him about it earlier and just did some more research on it. i was wondering what kind of aftermarket parts i should put on my car for autocross. as autocross is more of a handling thing then going fast i was wondering what some good handling mods are. the suspension is already very stiff in my car and lowered about 2 inches. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on what class you're looking to compete in. Good tires and a performance alignment would be the first things to do..

It all depends what class you want to be in, and if you actually really want to be competitive.

Usually when you get into modded classes, you are going up against people who do some serious mods because they are all about winning in that class. But if you just want to do it for the sake of doing it, then don't worry and have at it.

As Mainframe says...a great place to start would be nice sticky summer tires and a solid alignment.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Auto-X is about skill more than modifications. My advice would be to get the hang of your car as-is, and then address the shortcomings as you see fit. Before throwing any parts at the car, however, make sure you know how each part will put you in terms of classing.

There are two kinds of people who do Auto-X:
    1) Those who are competitive and want to compete against other people in their class
    2) Those looking to be able to push both their cars and themselves to the limits in a controlled environment and improve their driving skill

If you fall into category 1, then modification choice should be strongly debated, as certain modifications can put you in classes that will kill your chances of even being in the top 10 for an event. If you fall into category 2 (where I do), modify away and DGAF what anyone says about your times. I only do a few events every year, so I don't stand a chance in the points; I only care about how I compare to my other times throughout the day. My modification path has put me into one of those categories where I'm up against people with $20K+ into their cars (on top of original purchase price), a lot more experience than I, and I stand no chance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Tires tires tires, it's all in the rubber. Get the stickiest tires possible, don't skimp out.

As others said, it all depends on the class you would like to run. If you're plan is just for fun and don't care about what class you are in.

1. Tires
    2. Tires
    3. Tires
    4. Spring and Struts (if your cars primary function is a DD if not coilovers.)
    5. Swaybars and endlinks, big front bar.
    6. ALK
    7. Buy a miata it's a better AutoX car.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    7. Buy a miata
    Sir, hand over your man-card :facepalm:
    Last edited by RichD514; 11-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Buy a miata.

...that was for Mikie

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 on the Miata. Waiting for this Miata Spyder to somehow go into production to get one.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514
    Sir, enjoy getting driven circles around by 15 year old vehicles with barely any modifications driven by overweight retired folk...

Seriously, if you want a good Auto-X car, the Miata is a tough car to beat.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    I whole heartedly disagree with you. Miata will out run 90% of everything out there...and certainly most Subarus in Auto-X.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

If this warrants revoking a man card...then you can have that piece of ****. I know I still love me some bewbs...and this car.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^I love that review.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

miatas for daaaysss! i dont know much about auto-x right now so im still looking into it, but i just want to do it for fun and learn my car better. the mods i would do for it are minimum so the tires and alignment would work just fine along with the struts. and can some one give a brief explanation on the classes i cant seem to find anything on it?

Class rules are a bit long and complicated The Sports Car Club of America - Solo

If you're already modified and it would be your first year, just go out and have fun. Spend your money on making your car's maintenance is all up to date and any worn item replaced.

Then buy good sticky tires and get a alignment. You'll have a blast and it will become a addiction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast