Winter Tires - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just ordered the Blizzaks WS70 215/55 16 on steelies from tire rack and looking forward to hitting the slopes this ...

Just ordered the Blizzaks WS70 215/55 16 on steelies from tire rack and looking forward to hitting the slopes this season =D Now I just need to make room to store the stock tires. . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I still have my stock Dunlops on my 2011 and they were HORRIBLE in the snow last season.
    I am between the Michelin X-Ice XI3 and Nokian WR G3 which consumer reports and others say are better than some dedicated winter tires. ( Nokian WR G3 | Winter Tire - Consumer Reports News )
    They will be about $800-900 installed on the stock rims.
    Anybody have advice about the Nokian WR G3 "All-Weather" vs. The Michelin X-Ice?

I just slapped the steelies/WS70's on today. Must say, the feedback from folks on this site was spot on. Now for the snow experience !!!!
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

any downside to switching the tires on and off one set of rims other than the cost of mounting them each season?

Quote Originally Posted by JKWRX View Post
    any downside to switching the tires on and off one set of rims other than the cost of mounting them each season?
    For me, I probably didn't save much by buying two sets of wheels. I wanted the ability to switch between summer and winter whenever I want without having to go to the tire shop. I think that is the biggest disadvantage of not having two sets of wheels. Also, you don't get the pleasure of running aftermarket wheels in the summer.

Thanks. I think I'll just switch the tires onto the same rims each season. Mounting for $16/wheel is not that bad and the guy said that there is no charge for the TPMS since its already set up on the rim.
    My Michelin X-ice 3's from Tirerack are on the way!
    JK
    JKWRX
    2011 WRX

For those who believe in all-season tires

This morning we have the first snow this winter. Caught me "with pants down" as in -I'm still on my regular "summer" (actually all-seasons Eagle GT). The car also had a fresh wash&wax... So going up Union, covered in snow with ice underneath, the WRX did very well, with the VTC light on all the way, slight slipping and sliding sideways. I know from last winter it could have done without any VTC intervention on the winter tires. The car is great, the tires suck big-time. In conditions like these winter tires vs. all-season is really like day/night. If you really do have winter you need winter tires. Even if it's all flat country, there are still turns and breaking to consider...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I just got my tires put on yesterday, just in time for the winter weather coming through tonight through the weekend. Only thing is that the shop forgot to put on the Tire Pressure monitors =/ I needed the car today so I let it fly but are they absolutely necessary? That being said, the light indicator on the dash is not on so I am confused. Also, it only cost me 27$ to get them put on. . . which threw me off. Either way I am ready for winter.

My TPMS light will again be on all thru the winter. It takes a few miles of driving, the TPMS is not sending constantly, it only transmits one in a while, and that only when wheels turn at a certain minimum speed. They're battery operated. So your light will come on eventually. I lived with that last winter, I got used to it.

Edit: more cold and snow in the forecast - tonight I'm changing the wheels to the winter set.
    Last edited by Ingo; 11-21-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Just got my Michelin X-Ice 3's on. They give a noticeably softer ride on the pitted roads of my area of Northern NJ compared to the stock performance summer Dunlops. I haven't noticed more road noise either. -can't wait for some snow...
    JKWRX
    2011 WRX

My winters (altimax) are decidedly quieter and softer. Softer because going from 45's to 55's. But still give very decent feed-back.

I am told they don't need to do anything to the TPMS when you just switch tires on the same rims (that's what my mechanic told me)- that's why it was not that expensive to have them mounted I guess and that's why your light is not on.
    JKWRX
    2011 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by nepats555 View Post
    Does anybody add weight to the trunk I find in wetter/ heavier snow the back moves around to much? riding 2012 hatch with blizzaks lm-60'
    You shouldn't have to do that in an AWD car with proper snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JKWRX View Post
    I am told they don't need to do anything to the TPMS when you just switch tires on the same rims (that's what my mechanic told me)- that's why it was not that expensive to have them mounted I guess and that's why your light is not on.
    They are on their own wheels, steelies. Also, had some nice snow on the ground on my way to work today. 3-4 inches of wet heavy stuff with ice underneath, the tires did perfect. Looking forward to getting some more snow here in the next couple of days =D

Quote Originally Posted by Conjon8811 View Post
    They are on their own wheels, steelies. Also, had some nice snow on the ground on my way to work today. 3-4 inches of wet heavy stuff with ice underneath, the tires did perfect. Looking forward to getting some more snow here in the next couple of days =D
    Good to hear, I have the same package, but with the TPMS installed on steelies. We might get snow four Thanksgiving, or so they're saying.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.