Winter Tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dan5505 Same here. The TPMS sensors have saved me twice from running flat tires. For some reason ...

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Same here. The TPMS sensors have saved me twice from running flat tires. For some reason my factory dunlops like to attract nails. I'm not used to having a car with low profile tires; when they lose pressure its difficult to tell visually.
    And this is the problem...you can't look at a tire and tell if the tire lost pressure. You need to either have TPMS or check the tires using a gauge. I don't know how many people religiously check their tires daily before driving, but I'm willing to bet many don't...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I certainly don't. But when you know your car it's easy to feel when a tire is really low. That corner gets real "spongy" feeling. The TPMS is definitely more sensitive, it shows before I can tell. But I still don't feel it to be essential.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Weight

Does anybody add weight to the trunk I find in wetter/ heavier snow the back moves around to much? riding 2012 hatch with blizzaks lm-60'

The only time in my 13 years of driving that I've ever put weight in the trunk was the first winter in my 240sx, The next 3 winters i didn't, now that's a back end that likes to slide around a lot! Ordered my set up today and should be here by the 5th.

I was going to order 215/55/16 Blizzak WS-70's from tirerack this weekend but I am curious about the wheels. I see people here are running on steelies, are there benefits to steelies or did you guys use them because they are cheaper?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Conjon8811 View Post
    I was going to order 215/55/16 Blizzak WS-70's from tirerack this weekend but I am curious about the wheels. I see people here are running on steelies, are there benefits to steelies or did you guys use them because they are cheaper?
    I went with them because they were cheaper. Plus they use a ton of salt of the roads here and now I don't care if they get a little chewed up.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I went with them because they were cheaper. Plus they use a ton of salt of the roads here and now I don't care if they get a little chewed up.
    Ok, so it looks like even the recommended/prefered winter tire package through tirerack would be appropriate. The ws-70 215/55/16 with the steelies. Might go ahead and get them ordered then.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, so it looks like even the recommended/prefered winter tire package through tirerack would be appropriate. The ws-70 215/55/16 with the steelies. Might go ahead and get them ordered then.
    I was very satisfied with Tire Rack's service and pricing. I wanted to go with some cheap wheels because of looks, but I couldn't justify the extra couple hundred bucks.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I was very satisfied with Tire Rack's service and pricing. I wanted to go with some cheap wheels because of looks, but I couldn't justify the extra couple hundred bucks.
    Awesome, this is my first (new) car so a lot of the stuff is new to me. Looking forward to hitting the slopes this year too. I had called in a few local places but none had the blizzaks, they only had Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 which I have not heard much about.

Awesome, this is my first (new) car so a lot of the stuff is new to me. Looking forward to hitting the slopes this year too. I had called in a few local places but none had the blizzaks, they only had Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 which I have not heard much about.
    I think the Blizzak WS 70/Steel Wheel package is by far their most popular package for the WRX.

Steel wheels are cheaper than alloys. Plus, I kind of like the subdued look with the taller sidewalls. Makes the WRX look like it's seriously ready for the winter.

I'm thinking about running a 215 50 17 or 225 50 17 Blizzak on the factory 2013 wrx wheel. For my last wrx I bought a set of 17x7 Drag DR-31 and wrapped them with 215 50 17 Blizzaks and that setup found its way to my forester after I sold the wrx. Needless to say, both cars where a bear in the snow!
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember

Quote Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
    I'm thinking about running a 215 50 17 or 225 50 17 Blizzak on the factory 2013 wrx wheel. For my last wrx I bought a set of 17x7 Drag DR-31 and wrapped them with 215 50 17 Blizzaks and that setup found its way to my forester after I sold the wrx. Needless to say, both cars where a bear in the snow!
    Couple of points: 1. Snow tires should be tall and narrow for optimal performance in the snow. 2. Having shorter sidewalls won't be pothole/road hazard friendly. You're more likely to destroy OE sized tires than minus sized tires which feature taller higher profile sidewalls. 3. Using OE sized snow tires aren't cheap.

Also, it's not good for the same tire to be unmounted and remounted on the same wheel season to season.

^ +1
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Lm60's are the way to go!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Couple of points: 1. Snow tires should be tall and narrow for optimal performance in the snow. 2. Having shorter sidewalls won't be pothole/road hazard friendly. You're more likely to destroy OE sized tires than minus sized tires which feature taller higher profile sidewalls. 3. Using OE sized snow tires aren't cheap.

Also, it's not good for the same tire to be unmounted and remounted on the same wheel season to season.
    For number 3 I would say it depends. I picked up my OE 235/45 R17 Blizzak WS70s for $400 mounted at Firestone last fall during a Black Friday special.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast