Damper experts! What are the koni failure/wear modes?

This is a discussion on Damper experts! What are the koni failure/wear modes? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have Koni Yellow inserts on my 2007 WRX wagon with wagon sti pink springs. For the past few years, ...

Damper experts! What are the koni failure/wear modes?

I have Koni Yellow inserts on my 2007 WRX wagon with wagon sti pink springs. For the past few years, about every year, I need to turn my konis about a quarter turn firmer to maintain the ride I'm looking for. If I don't the car starts feeling a bit disconnected and bouncy and isn't as fun to drive, but after the turn, everything seems to go back to normal. I've read that this is not uncommon for Koni yellows, but it still seems strange to me. The shocks aren't failing, but something much be wearing or changing, that makes the shock a bit weak. Then that problem is mitigated by firming up the shock. Does anyone know what's going on inside the damper?

Thanks!
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just like any damper they get weaker with use a strut with 10k is stronger than at 50k and that one is stronger than at 100k, most people wait to replace struts until they are leaking oil, "blown" since the cost to replace them every year to maintain like new damping is absurd.

Since your struts are adjustable, firming them up remedies the issue temporarily like you have observed but likely not in the most ideal manner. This is why professional rally/race teams rebuild dampers so often because they push the cars to the limit and have drivers than can notice a difference from new.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Just like any damper they get weaker with use a strut with 10k is stronger than at 50k and that one is stronger than at 100k, most people wait to replace struts until they are leaking oil, "blown" since the cost to replace them every year to maintain like new damping is absurd.

Since your struts are adjustable, firming them up remedies the issue temporarily like you have observed but likely not in the most ideal manner. This is why professional rally/race teams rebuild dampers so often because they push the cars to the limit and have drivers than can notice a difference from new.
    Perfectly logical. I was just wondering what exactly wears.. I suppose the holes that the fluid is forced through may open up or the fluid loses its viscosity.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Rubber seals and o-rings wear.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff