'07 Legacy GT Wheels on a 2014 WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '07 Legacy GT Wheels on a 2014 WRX? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at a used set of '07 Legacy GT wheels in 7 x 17, et55, 5 x 100 bolt ...

'07 Legacy GT Wheels on a 2014 WRX?

I'm looking at a used set of '07 Legacy GT wheels in 7 x 17, et55, 5 x 100 bolt circle with snow tires to put on my new WRX. Is there any reason I shouldn't put these on my car? The tires are one size smaller at 225/45-17 so the speedo and overall gearing will be off by about 1.4%.

The wheels include the original TPMS sensors, will my system read these if I go through the process in the owner's manual?

Thanks for any help. I looked at a number of threads but couldn't find any info on this combination.
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2014 WRX 5 door base model
    2013 5/8ths scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2011 Ram 1500
    2004 Caterham 7 SV http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm
    1992 Mazda Miata

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I test fitted the Legacy GT wheels and spun them and all checked out so I bought the set. They weighed exactly the same as the OEM wheels and tires on my bathroom scales.

I looked in the owner's manual but there is no information on how to sync the new sensors to the TPMS in the car. Can someone point me to directions or do I have to pay the dealer to do it? I haven't driven the car with the new wheels and tires but I am assuming they will need to be re-synced.
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2011 Ram 1500
    1992 Mazda Miata

Lot of people use LGT wheels, older WRX wheels, steelies, whatever for winter setups. Thinner winter setup is generally better anyway (cut through the snow as opposed to riding on it).

No idea on the TPMS...all it does though is cause the silly little yellow light on the dash. Doesn't hurt if you don't use em.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

According to this thread, Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC the '07 LGT wheels have the same specs as the '09-'10 WRX wheels that I ran just fine as my winter set last year. So you should be fine.

There are tools out there that will let you reprogram the sensors yourself. They are in the $200 range if I recall. Over time I suppose it's cheaper than paying someone to do it, and saves some hassle. I just pulled the gauge cluster out and put some electrical tape on the back of the gauge face to cover the light. Some might consider it a bit OCD, but it was pretty easy, effective, and dirt cheap.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I drove the car a bit and it didn't take long for the TPMS light to start blinking. I think I will see what the dealer will charge and make a decision to buy the too myself.

Does anyone in the Denver area have this tool and willing to loan or rent it to me?
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2011 Ram 1500
    1992 Mazda Miata

Ugh the TPMS light blinks??? Fak. Time to get out the electrical tape. I don't feel like spending an extra $$$$ for TPMS.

I'm not a freakin idiot, I know when my tires need air. Stupid laws.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    According to this thread, Master thread of OEM Subaru Wheel Specs - NASIOC the '07 LGT wheels have the same specs as the '09-'10 WRX wheels that I ran just fine as my winter set last year. So you should be fine.

There are tools out there that will let you reprogram the sensors yourself. They are in the $200 range if I recall. Over time I suppose it's cheaper than paying someone to do it, and saves some hassle. I just pulled the gauge cluster out and put some electrical tape on the back of the gauge face to cover the light. Some might consider it a bit OCD, but it was pretty easy, effective, and dirt cheap.
    Why not just take the bulb out?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Why not just take the bulb out?
    I'm pretty sure it's an led soldered directly to the board and not an easily removable bulb. It wouldn't be that hard to remove a soldered piece either I suppose. Regardless, I couldn't get at it without feeling like I was going to break something.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

I called the dealer and asked the cost to sync the sensors. The service desk guy went off to ask someone about it. After about 5 minutes on hold he comes back on and tells me $400! I go "huh, I understood it to be a simple hook up a device and done in a few minutes". Back on hold for another 5 minutes and he comes back and says it is $60 to do it and it takes about half an hour.

Sure, I could tape over it or just leave it but its a new car and I like to have everything working correctly. I check my tire pressures frequently so I don't need the system but having that light on just bugs me. If the gadget costs around $200 it will pay for itself in two winter seasons so I will probably go ahead and get one.
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2011 Ram 1500
    1992 Mazda Miata

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.