All Season recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on All Season recommendations within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Due to a job change, I'm going to be travelling a lot. I'll be driving all over the country, so ...

All Season recommendations

Due to a job change, I'm going to be travelling a lot. I'll be driving all over the country, so I won't be able to have two sets of tires/wheels. I already sold off my snow tires. So my '12 WRX is currently wearing her stock rubber. I hate to take them off, as there's plenty of meat left on them, but I don't want to end up in a ditch somewhere high in the Sierra Nevada's this winter. All seasons it is.

I've been looking on Tire Rack and Costco (I'm a member) and was hoping for some feedback from you guys.

I'm bouncing between Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

I had a set of Continental DWS's on my old car. The grip was good but I ended up with two dimpled sidewalls from two different potholes and had to junk them after 10K.

Here's the crux, I'd really like to spend less money. I'd like to be at $500 or less, but if the tires are worth it, then I'll shell out the extra cash for them.

What do you guys recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have Michelin sport A/S plus on my 2011 WRX and i do like them very much they are all season tires and great on rain but I live in Florida so I am not sure how they do on snow. I believe they are around $190 to $200 per tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Due to a job change, I'm going to be travelling a lot. I'll be driving all over the country, so I won't be able to have two sets of tires/wheels. I already sold off my snow tires. So my '12 WRX is currently wearing her stock rubber. I hate to take them off, as there's plenty of meat left on them, but I don't want to end up in a ditch somewhere high in the Sierra Nevada's this winter. All seasons it is.

I've been looking on Tire Rack and Costco (I'm a member) and was hoping for some feedback from you guys.

I'm bouncing between Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positions and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

I had a set of Continental DWS's on my old car. The grip was good but I ended up with two dimpled sidewalls from two different potholes and had to junk them after 10K.

Here's the crux, I'd really like to spend less money. I'd like to be at $500 or less, but if the tires are worth it, then I'll shell out the extra cash for them.

What do you guys recommend?
    I had the Conti DSW tires as well on my WRX. I had one with a random sidewall dimple for no reason at all...had it replaced under warranty. I kept the tires at 44PSI after that and had no problems with 2 years of driving and really liked the tires. (currently for sale with my OZ Ultraggera wheels) I still put on winter tires though. (General Artic Altimax)

Back in my honda days, the potenza's were the tire to get.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're driving over the Sierra Nevadas in winter, bear in mind there could be instances where the roads are restricted to "chains and traction tires only". If you don't have the snowflake on your tires (most all-seasons won't), then you'll either have to brave chains (which are not recommended for Subarus, and you'll need special low-profile chains to fit at all) or turn around. I've been over those mountains many times, and in several cases there were police blockades checking every vehicle before letting them over the pass.

Depending on the weather this season, it might never be an issue, but I've never risked it.

If I was going to buy an all-season right now, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s would be at the top of my list. My friends in various tire shops all agree Michelins are generally the highest quality tire brand (although they usually come at a price premium).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

these have been doing pretty well for me, have them in stock size for my 02.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-MAX+AS-03

I Support ClubWRX
    Getting some all seasons soon too and I think this is what I'm going with. What have you all heard or know about these? I live in rural central Ohio so our winters can be pretty brutal sometimes. Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Getting some all seasons soon too and I think this is what I'm going with. What have you all heard or know about these? I live in rural central Ohio so our winters can be pretty brutal sometimes. Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season
    If you don't travel all over the country like the OP I would suggest dedicated winter/summer tires.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    If you don't travel all over the country like the OP I would suggest dedicated winter/summer tires.
    Well that was the original Idea, This is kind of a fail safe for me right now in the event I don't have the extra cash to dish out for a new set of rims and summer tires come late spring. If I do happen to have the money then I will buy summer rims and tires still and sell my all seasons to get winter's in place for the 2014-2015 season

I used to run the RE960AS Pole Position (precursor the the 970s OP mentioned). I felt they were the best UHPAS of the three I tried--the Kumho Ecsta ASX, and the Pirelli P Zero Nero. The Bridgestone felt to have the stiffest side-wall and best overall traction, Kumho the softest and least. The Pirelli was the loudest while the PP was a not-too-distant second. However, for 100$/tire, the Kumho was very decent.

I'm torn about this myself now, having summer tires and one set of wheels. I don't feel I get to the lousy conditions frequently enough to warrant extra wheels and tires but do make the occasional trip to the mountains/north so am considering an AS tire as my standard. Comes down to money and space in living quarters, really.

I am in need to replace the original tires as well. Located in PA, and I don't think I want a dedicated straight winter tire because in reality it doesn't snow here that much anymore. I would think All seasons for winter would be ok. I'm in to find out what the best solution is.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still on the fence on what to buy.

In a similar vein, when I pull my stock Dunlops off, I'd like to sell them. Any guesses on how much stock tires with about 15000 miles on them are worth? One does have a plug in it, but has not had any leaking issues.

Thanks again. Please keep discussing All Season tires if you have any input. I'd like to make my decision in the next week or so.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte
    In a similar vein, when I pull my stock Dunlops off, I'd like to sell them. Any guesses on how much stock tires with about 15000 miles on them are worth? One does have a plug in it, but has not had any leaking issues.
    Depends on the treadwear, and how much tread is left. Also, considering the stock tire retail price is way higher than the performance they offer, don't expect all that much. 15K miles on stock tires, $100-200 would be a good price for you to unload them at.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Depends on the treadwear, and how much tread is left. Also, considering the stock tire retail price is way higher than the performance they offer, don't expect all that much. 15K miles on stock tires, $100-200 would be a good price for you to unload them at.
    I thought the Dunlops didn't last much longer than 15k anyway? My wife's Dunlops kicked the bucket in less than 10k (very different type of tire, though). I agree though, don't expect to get much for them. If I got an offer for $150, I'd take it immediately.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thanks guys. Mine still have some decent rubber left. I'm not too hard on them. I was hoping for at least $100, so thats good news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast