All Season recommendations - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on All Season recommendations within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been hearing a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Costco sells these tires as well. ...

Been hearing a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Costco sells these tires as well. Consumer reports puts them #1 on all season, but I've been hearing some comments that pretty much boils down to:

the tire performs well in the summer, so it may not perform that well in winter.

So I'm trying to hold off on purchasing the tires until a winter season has passed by (they're new tires). But Costco also has them on sale for $70 off for a set of 4!! BAH...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    Been hearing a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Costco sells these tires as well. Consumer reports puts them #1 on all season, but I've been hearing some comments that pretty much boils down to:

the tire performs well in the summer, so it may not perform that well in winter.

So I'm trying to hold off on purchasing the tires until a winter season has passed by (they're new tires). But Costco also has them on sale for $70 off for a set of 4!! BAH...
    I'm new to the Seattle area, so I'm trying to figure out if I even need snow tires. It apparently rarely snows here, and my drive to work is less than 3 miles...so if I can get away with keeping the stockers I'd rather do that. Until they wear, then I'll definitely replace them with a good all-season. I don't know why Subaru puts summer shoes on the WRX anyways; who do they think is buying these cars? lol
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I'm new to the Seattle area, so I'm trying to figure out if I even need snow tires. It apparently rarely snows here, and my drive to work is less than 3 miles...so if I can get away with keeping the stockers I'd rather do that. Until they wear, then I'll definitely replace them with a good all-season. I don't know why Subaru puts summer shoes on the WRX anyways; who do they think is buying these cars? lol
    A retired old man who lives in either Arizona or Florida...

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Welcome to the Seattle area!! :P I'd have to say, the weather here is pretty mellow, although drivers here will freak out at the sight of rain/snow (ie going 35 on the freeway on the far left lane... and its just sprinkling... COME ON) anyways...

I probably wouldn't buy all season tires for here just because it rarely snows. And when it does, and since people here freak out, most people get to stay at home (score). The only reason why I want to buy all season is because I like hitting the slopes.

Continental DWS were awesome last winter, but the side wall is a little sloppy if you do any spirited driving. The General GMAX AS-03 is the same tire compound with a different tread and sidewall. Haven't gotten the chance to do any snow driving yet, but their performance in the rain is incredible, just like the DWS

Update:

Costco is doing $70 off their tires. Discount Tires price matched, and actually took off a bit more for me ($20 off per tire). Discount tires was also cheaper than Costco to begin with (also I don't have to deal with having nitrogen in my tires). All in all, I paid ~710 including the reprogramming of the TPMS sensors for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3. I recommend going that route! All done within an hour!

So far, the Michelin's feel like a nice improvement over the Dunlop stock tires. I wonder how they'll hold up come Winter. Time will tell!

Also they let me into their bay and let me inspect my car while it was lifted!

I have the DWS on my current car and I don't care for them. They work fine for me in the winter on a RWD car but they are too numb for my liking. I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3 set sitting in my garage right now. Just waiting for my WRX to be delivered

PS: My sister is running the Pole Positions on her WRX and she loves them.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm getting mine in a few weeks (depending on funding or lack thereof). Right now it is between the Continental DWS and the Michelin Pilot Power Sport A/S 3 based on reviews and all around satisfaction with both tires. This decision may come down to price for me seeing as the Michelin's are about $50 more per tire than the Continentals are.

So I guess my question is, for those who have either how do you like them or if you have used both which to you like better. My guess is that the Michelin's will probably last longer just based on my knowledge of Michelin tires lasting for a good amount of miles. what do you guys think.

I have no complaints so far with my tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 have 45,000 warranty. I believe the Continental have a 50,000 mile warranty so surprisingly, the warranty for the Continental is actually longer.

Playing with the tire, unmounted, probably doesn't say much BUT I did notice how the sidewall had more flex on the continental than the Michelin.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either tire. Both tires will rank in the top 3 on ultra high performing all season tires.

Got mine installed yesterday, the DWS, air pressure is at 32, any recommendations on if I should add more?

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    Got mine installed yesterday, the DWS, air pressure is at 32, any recommendations on if I should add more?
    I kept mine at 38 generally...never below that. I drove on them at 44 for a little while, but 38 seemed to be the sweet spot. Anything over that and frigid temps seemed to bring them back down to 38 anyway so I settled there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    Been hearing a lot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Consumer reports puts them #1 on all season, but I've been hearing some comments that pretty much boils down to:
    Indeed, Consumer Reports rates the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 quite highly (see below). All all seasons are a compromise. 2 sets (summer / winter) are always best rather than one type of tire.

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    Located in PA, and I don't think I want a dedicated straight winter tire because in reality it doesn't snow here that much anymore.
    Whereabouts re you in PA and how old are you? The reason I ask is PA has had some big snows, even in the warmer SE section I've lived in for many years. The last several winters are not indicative of what normal is. We will see some bad snowy winters at some point. I'll soon be on Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D for the second season ready for it to happen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UHPAS.JPG  
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Sorry for commenting on an old thread. I am looking to purchase an all-season tire and am down to the DWSs or A/S 3s. I am not an overly aggressive driver, but I do like a tight feel.

I am looking for a tire that is better than the stock Dunlops from a road noise/ride comfort standpoint. From what I read the A/S 3 is the better tire, but I am trying to figure out how they ride compared to the Dunlops and DWSs. I am in Columbus Ohio so I think either tire would get by in the winter.

No worries.

I cam speak about the A/S 3's, but I was less than impressed with the DWS's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mchute View Post
    Sorry for commenting on an old thread. I am looking to purchase an all-season tire and am down to the DWSs or A/S 3s. I am not an overly aggressive driver, but I do like a tight feel.

I am looking for a tire that is better than the stock Dunlops from a road noise/ride comfort standpoint. From what I read the A/S 3 is the better tire, but I am trying to figure out how they ride compared to the Dunlops and DWSs. I am in Columbus Ohio so I think either tire would get by in the winter.
    Hey bud, I'm in Columbus as well. I just ordered a set of the A/S 3's for my WRX. For me it was either between the DWS and A/S 3's as well. I was going to purchase pretty much whichever one of the two I could find cheaper. Believe it or not, I was actually able to find the A/S 3's cheaper than the DWS. So Michelin's it was! should be coming in this week and installing the moment they come in.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.