Stock 05 WRX really harsh.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock 05 WRX really harsh. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry for my English, I'm from The Netherlands. Since the day i bought my 2005 WRX (a few months ago) ...

Stock 05 WRX really harsh.

Sorry for my English, I'm from The Netherlands.

Since the day i bought my 2005 WRX (a few months ago) it feels really harsh.
    The most people say that there Impreza's are totally not harsh and bouncy.

I changed the suspension with new AST 4100 coilovers and it's still that harsh. Maybe a bit more now.
    By every small thing in the road, the hole car give one hard bounce.
    Is there something else wrong with my car?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you have new coilovers, then I guess it could be tire pressure, low profile tires, a bad alignment. Coilovers are generally very stiff cause they have solid top hats and stiff springs and stiff dampers compared to stock. You can adjust the damper setting so it's less stiff. Spring rate can be adjusted too, but they should be set with the correct rate from the factory.

Is the car bouncing in an elastic behavior or is it very rough and stiff?

Not bouncing just rough and stiff. Speedbumps are oké, the normal roads and highways are the problem.
    My tire pressure is 31 psi at all 4 wheels.

Does it help if I lower my care even more? Or a bit higher?

Sound to me like the car is sitting on "top" of the springs. The suspension needs to travel BOTH ways, in and out. When sitting on top of the springs the wheels will not travel downwards when hitting a hole, the whole car drops into the hole. You need to check pre-tension and adjust accordingly. Then it's off to alignment. Adjusting higher/lower would likely not make a lot of difference. And there's nothing you can change on the spring rate. Once you have the pre-tension right, the alignment needs to be corrected, tires are expensive and go fast when mis-aligned.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    By spring pre-tension are you talking about preload? (Not trying to be a jerk lol. Just getting mixed up in terms)...Can't believe I didn't think of that, seems like an obvious suggestion now, good call.

Yes, I would guess that means the same thing. My car sits nicely IN the springs and works just fine. I could lower or raise the car and still have suspension travel both ways... (it sits at just about factory height, maybe a bit lower)

Can someone explain me why a bad alignment can make my car harsh?
    And I have just one ring that I can turn around. So I change my ride height and pre-load with the same ring?

The setting on top of the shock (orange round knob) is ofcourse set to full soft. (counterclockwise)

Welcome to coilovers. They are going to be more harsh than a stock ride. If you want a nicer soft ride, you should have gone with stock spec struts and the stock springs if you weren't looking for performance. The reason your stock ride was rough is because a 2005 model year car more than likely would have had blown stock struts since they are a wear item...my 05 STI did.

Coilovers will virtually always have a much stiffer spring rate than stock, coupled with much shorter strut compression and travel, so it's going to be a lot stiffer.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Lowering the car pretty much demands stiffer springs, otherwise you'd bottom out all over the place. Coil-overs together with sway bars of course make for a stiffer ride. Harsh? Depends on who's talking. I'm sure some people would consider my car completely uncivilized. I think it's just "tight", like I always wanted. It goes around corners like nobody's business.

Thanks for the reply's.

Before my WRX I drove a '99 Civic with coilovers (Tanabe Sustec) That car was perfect "tight" and when I drove on the highway, It was just a straight line, the car was not bouncing in al holes ect. It was only hard when I hit a speedbump.

When I drive my WRX, it feels if I have no suspension, Every hole/ small bump feels very hard but speedbumps are no problem.

Do you think it's going better when I increase my ride height to stock level with the AST coilovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Lowering the car pretty much demands stiffer springs, otherwise you'd bottom out all over the place. Coil-overs together with sway bars of course make for a stiffer ride. Harsh? Depends on who's talking. I'm sure some people would consider my car completely uncivilized. I think it's just "tight", like I always wanted. It goes around corners like nobody's business.
    Same with my 05 STI. I was on Feal 441 coilovers and I LOVED the way it made the car handle, as well as the tightness. It's response to every turn was awesome. But it's civility was completely improper haha. My biggest gripe about the 2012 WRX I have now is the softness of it's suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by xXSanderXx View Post
    Thanks for the reply's.

Before my WRX I drove a '99 Civic with coilovers (Tanabe Sustec) That car was perfect "tight" and when I drove on the highway, It was just a straight line, the car was not bouncing in al holes ect. It was only hard when I hit a speedbump.

When I drive my WRX, it feels if I have no suspension, Every hole/ small bump feels very hard but speedbumps are no problem.

Do you think it's going better when I increase my ride height to stock level with the AST coilovers?
    Raising it should be an improvement a bit as it will allow for more suspension travel...but as we say, it comes down to what the spring rates are. What are they?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

The springrates are:

Front: 50kg/cm (280lb/in??)

Rear: 30kg/cm (168lb/in??)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.