Which front and back sway bar to install? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Which front and back sway bar to install? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The kartboy endlinks are good, yes. And they are cheaper. You can get the spacers from most retailers that you ...

I Support ClubWRX
    The kartboy endlinks are good, yes. And they are cheaper. You can get the spacers from most retailers that you get the endlinks from, they look like really think aluminum washers. I personally would not recommend them though.

I originally bought the kartboy ones, but due to my own fault buying the wrong front sway bar I damaged the bushings on the front endlinks. When I bought the right swaybar I was on a time crunch and could not wait for replacement bushings so I had Whiteline endlinks rush delivered to me to replace them.

This allowed me to try both on my car, and I still have the kartboy on the rear. Those will be changed out soon, when I get around to buying the Whiteline rears. The kartboy are a solid buy and work fine, but due to the design, and the urethane bushings they use, they make an odd rubber sliding squeak noise any time you go over speed bumps or hit sudden dips in the road. It almost sounds like when you go to get into a car that has worn out struts. The Whiteline are slightly stiffer and are silent. The Whiteline endlinks are just a better designed product.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    The kartboy endlinks are good, yes. And they are cheaper. You can get the spacers from most retailers that you get the endlinks from, they look like really think aluminum washers. I personally would not recommend them though.

I originally bought the kartboy ones, but due to my own fault buying the wrong front sway bar I damaged the bushings on the front endlinks. When I bought the right swaybar I was on a time crunch and could not wait for replacement bushings so I had Whiteline endlinks rush delivered to me to replace them.

This allowed me to try both on my car, and I still have the kartboy on the rear. Those will be changed out soon, when I get around to buying the Whiteline rears. The kartboy are a solid buy and work fine, but due to the design, and the urethane bushings they use, they make an odd rubber sliding squeak noise any time you go over speed bumps or hit sudden dips in the road. It almost sounds like when you go to get into a car that has worn out struts. The Whiteline are slightly stiffer and are silent. The Whiteline endlinks are just a better designed product.
    If I am to get the front and rear sway bars first, will the OEM endlinks hold up? and for how long about? I don't drive my car too rough but I do give my car some play time here and there

I Support ClubWRX
    You can use the stock endlinks temporarily. However, as the Whiteline sways are much stiffer, they will be putting far more stress on them than the stock sways would. If you choose to use the stocks temporarily, I would probably not plan to use them more than 6 months to 1 year at the most (depending on environment and how you drive of course).

Below are some side by side photos to show how much stronger the aftermarket ones are than stock....stocks are the black ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02636.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	117625

Name:	DSC_1343.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	117633
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

You can use the stock endlinks temporarily. However, as the Whiteline sways are much stiffer, they will be putting far more stress on them than the stock sways would. If you choose to use the stocks temporarily, I would probably not plan to use them more than 6 months to 1 year at the most (depending on environment and how you drive of course).

Below are some side by side photos to show how much stronger the aftermarket ones are than stock....stocks are the black ones.

Name:	DSC02636.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	117625

Name:	DSC_1343.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	117633
    Great photos!
    Man.... I don't know what to do ... should I get the entire sways and endlinks or go for power first on my 13' wrx!!
    I will be spending about $700 anyways

I Support ClubWRX
    That is a tough choice. Would you rather get a little faster or better handling. If it were me, there are two routes I would explore.

First, I would keep an eye out for either sales or used sways. Also keep an eye out for the raffles Kronos Performance does, great chance to get parts or store credit for cheap. The rears are 08+, the fronts are 11+, so they would likely still be in great condition depending on who had then and for how long. Doing this you may be able to get sways and an e-tune for a little boost in power.

If that fails, or you can't wait (know the feeling) I would likely go for sways first. There are a lot of great windy roads in the SF bay area (and just outside of it), being able to carve those roads without body roll would be a blast.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Hey Demon,

I bought rear whiteline sways 22mm first and kartboy endlinks with the spacers =]

I was wondering if I need a alignment after getting either front or rear sways.

No alignment is needed for either sway bar.
    That being said, a proper custom alignment is one of the best bang for your buck suspension mods you can do.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    No alignment is needed for either sway bar.
    That being said, a proper custom alignment is one of the best bang for your buck suspension mods you can do.
    Yeah, what he said.

Also, if you got the adjustable sway, put it on the softest setting unless you are going to install the front at the same time.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I've been trying to find what a buck suspension alignment is. If I may ask, what is it? Is it just a simple alignment?

When I get both sway bars, I would want my ride to be pretty stiff, Would it be idea to adjust beyond 24mm front sway and 22mm rear?

Thanks for the tip guys, I really appreciate it!

I Support ClubWRX
    The bang for buck statement means that it is cheap and will give good return.

Out of the factory the alignment is 'ok'....then when the car is strapped down in the crate, released from crate, strapped back down for at least one car hauler ride and delivered the alignment is off....some times by a lot. The dealer does not re-align before sale either.

An alighnment job is about $85 to $90 in most places which will normally give a decent impact on the driving experiance. If you spend $35 (plus maybe $20 extra to the alighment shop to install while doing an alignment) on a set of camber bolts for the front you can get about 2.5 degrees of camber out of the front wheels while still running stock shocks and tophats....this will provide much better cornering and minimal tire wear.

Sway bars control how much your car pitches left to right when cornering. They will not make the full suspension stiffer, only reduce body roll by basically forcing the left and right sides of your car to work together. There is no real reason to go higher than 24mm/22mm unless you are building a track car for like road corse use.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

The bang for buck statement means that it is cheap and will give good return.

Out of the factory the alignment is 'ok'....then when the car is strapped down in the crate, released from crate, strapped back down for at least one car hauler ride and delivered the alignment is off....some times by a lot. The dealer does not re-align before sale either.

An alighnment job is about $85 to $90 in most places which will normally give a decent impact on the driving experiance. If you spend $35 (plus maybe $20 extra to the alighment shop to install while doing an alignment) on a set of camber bolts for the front you can get about 2.5 degrees of camber out of the front wheels while still running stock shocks and tophats....this will provide much better cornering and minimal tire wear.

Sway bars control how much your car pitches left to right when cornering. They will not make the full suspension stiffer, only reduce body roll by basically forcing the left and right sides of your car to work together. There is no real reason to go higher than 24mm/22mm unless you are building a track car for like road corse use.
    Hahaha I feel so stupid... For some reason I didn't see 'bang' only buck suspension. Lol

I see. I think I will check out the camber. Just front 2.5? Is 2.5 camber a dramatic tilt? I don't want it too noticeable =]

I Support ClubWRX
    no, it is not that dramatic. The shop will likely question you about asking for it, but it is safe and not really noticeable to the untrained eye. When you get it done, you will see it cause you know it is there...but if you park it in a lot next to a car that has no camber most people will not notice it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Don't just checkout the camber. Toe is very important as well. You want to ensure to have 0 toe all around for a DD. This will allow you to run aggressive camber and have less camber wear if not none.

I would consult bigsky's alignment thread for more information. Alignment basics

Just a note, 2008+ WRX and STi's don't have easy rear camber adjustment.

There's a lot of Kartboy endlink fans out there. They are solid and simple.

BTW, are you planning on track time? If not, I'd say that the stock suspension is more than adequate for civilized street driving...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12