Winter/Snow Tires
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter/Snow Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, My WRX should be coming in sometime in November and I was wondering which winter tires to go ...

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar

Cool Winter/Snow Tires

Hey guys,
    My WRX should be coming in sometime in November and I was wondering which winter tires to go with.
    I commute about 40 miles to work a day (+40mi return trip) so I need a durable, long lasting tire so I don't break the bank.
    I live in New York so our winters can be pretty harsh at times. However, I will probably take my Jeep to work on the really bad storms.
    The Blizzaks seem to get a lot of publicity on the forums but I have read that they wear out very quickly.
    Here are some tires I have been looking at:
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Limited)

Pirelli Sottozero 3 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Limited)

Dunlop Wintersport 4D (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Limited)

Also, I am definitely going to get another set of rims to avoid the constant mounting.
    do you guys run steel wheels for the winter? I'm thinking about picking these alloys up (any thoughts on focal wheels?)
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I would rather get a set of 16" wheels for the winter since tire costs are a lot cheaper. But, I can't seem to find any, except for the steelies.

Thanks,

- Joe
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the car where in NY? I ordered my steel wheels and General AltiMax Arctic from tire rack for around 6-700 the only thing I didnt order was an extra tire pressure sensors.. I drive about 70-80 Miles a day and so far so good.

Winter tires/wheels for a 2011 WRX hatch - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks for the quick reply, how many seasons do you think you will get out of the generals?
    And if I don't put the sensors into the winter set, what are the negatives? Just the tire sensor light?
    I think your setup is the most cost efficient way to go. I really want to find a set of black 16" aluminums tho because Idk if I can bare looking at steeies for half the year.

*edit* Just figured out how to get the 16" wheels to show up on tirerack. (apparently it doesn't show all the rim sizes when you search by vehicle, only when you go through winter combo search) I will probably end up buying these:
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no
    unless anyone has any insight on how Focal rims are.
    Last edited by DirtRoadPunisher; 10-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

I just picked up a set of 2002 WRX OEM wheels for a winter set. I am also leaning toward the General tires too. They seem to get some good reviews and they are priced really well.

I like the sleeper look of the steelies. My Blizzak WS-70's are wearing fine. I've used them for 2 winters.

I like the sleeper look too. I plan on plasti dipping mine black.

I got the set for 100.00 so not too bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah you will have the low pressure light its no big deal you get used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    I just picked up a set of 2002 WRX OEM wheels for a winter set. I am also leaning toward the General tires too. They seem to get some good reviews and they are priced really well.
    From your name I would assume you have a STi? If so those won't fit, if not good plan I recommend that exact setup as a great budget winter setup.

I just read up on the general atimax tires:
    AltiMAX Arctic radials are designed to offer high levels of traction at low temperatures and are molded to accommodate the use of optional metal studs.
    I do not plan on ever using studs, is it smarter to get a stud-less tire instead? Is there a performance drop when using a studdable tire without the studs?
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post

I do not plan on ever using studs, is it smarter to get a stud-less tire instead? Is there a performance drop when using a studdable tire without the studs?
    I had on AltiMAX Artic tires on my WRX...no studs...AWESOME in the snow (from Michigan / kept them at 32PSI...soft, yes). My Subie was better than my wife's 2012 Jeep GC in the winter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post

I don't believe there is, The Blizzaks have the ability to be studded if I'm not mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    From your name I would assume you have a STi? If so those won't fit, if not good plan I recommend that exact setup as a great budget winter setup.
    I made this profile years ago when that were my plans. I actually ended up buying a 350z convertible at the time.

I have a 2014 WRX coming so I am trying to plan ahead. Wish I could change my username but not sure they would let me do that?

That's a girls car

Haha by girls car you mean they flock to it then yes. After the Z I got a lancer ralliart then the Evo X.

Here she was

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    Haha by girls car you mean they flock to it then yes. After the Z I got a lancer ralliart then the Evo X.

Here she was
    I've got a G37 so I can appreciate the 350/370Z (my friend has a boosted 350z with about 450HP). What's your take on the Ralliart and the EVO as an owner?? I've been looking into those for a future possibility. Yes, I'm aware of the cheap interiors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.