Winter/Snow Tires - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Winter/Snow Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a good deal on the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires. Should be interesting since I have never had ...

I got a good deal on the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires. Should be interesting since I have never had a dedicated winter and summer set. Looking forward to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats, gunna be bolting on my winters soon
    Current: '12 WRX Hatchback Limited
    -Cobb AP ots stg 2, invidia catless DP double wrapped DEI heat wrap, SPT Heatshield w/DEI gold coating underneath, Perrin drop-in air filter, SPT Front Strut tower Bar, Rota MXR 18x9.5 w/ 275/35/18 Sumitomo HTRZIII summer use, TR Motorsport C2 18x8 w/ 245/40/18 Pirelli Winter Carvers for winter use.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I have Dunlop Graspic DS3s - they're pretty good - skate a bit on the dry in warmish weather in a high wind. Ran them last year - still tons of tread on them. Anyone else use or have opinions? I've witnessed Forrester's 360-ing when my car was ok - although I take it careful in heavy snow/ice.

Just ordered Continental ExtremeContact DWS All Seasons, Rated very high, will let everyone know how I feel about them!

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    Just ordered Continental ExtremeContact DWS All Seasons, Rated very high, will let everyone know how I feel about them!
    I am on the fence right now between getting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS or getting a set of BLIZZAKs. For our weather here in norther New Mexico we typically only get 3-4 snowfalls of 5 inches or more (with a handful of smaller snowfalls) otherwise the roads are just cold with the occasional spot of ice or two. I just can't decide which route I want to go =/

Just received a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D on MSW Type 25 in matte grey from Tire Rack today... Looks good on WRB plus it's great that it clears the Brembos my stockers are almost brand new and heading to the cabinet for storage... I'll miss them til spring

I drove on those...great tires. They have a pretty soft sidewall though. I kept them at 38-40psi generally...made a huge difference.

how does a soft sidewall effect driving?

how does a soft sidewall effect driving?
    It tends to feel a little 'floaty' at highway speeds and through a typical 90 degree turn...especially if you have crappy roads and undulations. (like here in Michigan)
    I also got less squealing in aggressive driving with a slightly higher PSI.

Just checked with Belle Tire here in MI. There is a $60 rebate on Good Year Ultragrip GW3s until December. These tires are used by the cops here. They say it's the best and thats why cops use it. treadwear seems to be fast though

$600 installed for 235/45/17 ( wheels not included, just tires) with $60 rebate means $540 total.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I can see why the cops would make the tread run fast. Driving on them for 8 hours a day will do that. Plus they drive in not the best road conditions.

You would have to remember that you will only be on them for maybe 5 months or so. That will help prolong the life of them. If snow goes into April then make that 6 months.

I still have my stock Dunlops on my 2011 and they were HORRIBLE in the snow last season.
    I am between the Michelin X-Ice XI3 and Nokian WR G3 which consumer reports and others say are better than some dedicated winter tires. ( Nokian WR G3 | Winter Tire - Consumer Reports News )
    They will be about $800-900 installed on the stock rims.
    Anybody have advice about the Nokian WR G3 "All-Weather" vs. The Michelin X-Ice?

Just made an account to say, I bought a set of 16" Forester tires+rims from Craigslist for $120, then a set of used General AltiMax Arctic 205/55/16 for $200. Had to get a shop to balance and mount on the new rims (discarded old tires) for $130.

Plenty of tread on the tires and all done for $450, and still have my summer wheels for easy swap after the season.

Used the same General AltiMax Arctic model of tires on an old Corolla and was very happy. They are super grippy and I would consider "low rolling resistance" winter tires in the future.
    Last edited by vermonster; 11-26-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Ordered Good Year UltragGrip GW3 performance tires. $600 installed - $60 rebate = $540 . 235/45/17's
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234