Winter/Snow Tires - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter/Snow Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hear you.In that case stick to a snow traction tire 16's. Whats your budget if you don't mind me ...

I hear you.In that case stick to a snow traction tire 16's. Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking? Check for the FS in this forum. You might find a slightly used set with wheels for under that money.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Proud owner of a new 2013 WRX hatc Ltd. Need snow tires and wheels dedicated only for winter. Note Tirerack.com recommends going down a size to 16's. I live ina cold +/- snowy area of Canada North of Montana. Are the 16's as good as the 17's performance wise? Thinking of buying the Pirelli Soterozzo iii's.
    Thanks

I really liked my Dunlop Wintersport 3D's.

Quote Originally Posted by LAX77 View Post
    Proud owner of a new 2013 WRX hatc Ltd. Need snow tires and wheels dedicated only for winter. Note Tirerack.com recommends going down a size to 16's. I live ina cold +/- snowy area of Canada North of Montana. Are the 16's as good as the 17's performance wise? Thinking of buying the Pirelli Soterozzo iii's.
    Thanks
    Do they clear the snow all the time? If not the Pirellis won't do much good. You will need Blizzaks WS70 or xIce. 16's got more profile. Better for winters. But considering that OEMs are 235 45 17's 55 vs 45 profile is not going to be much of a difference.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    I hear you.In that case stick to a snow traction tire 16's. Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking? Check for the FS in this forum. You might find a slightly used set with wheels for under that money.
    Trying to keep it under $1000 for rims and tires.
    Cheapest Scenario: if i go with the generic Sunny SN3830 tires and steelies it will cost like $550 (granted I can find those tires).
    Ideal Scenario: The Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires with those Focal F04 Rims will cost about $1,020.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Soon: 2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post
    Trying to keep it under $1000 for rims and tires.
    Cheapest Scenario: if i go with the generic Sunny SN3830 tires and steelies it will cost like $550 (granted I can find those tires).
    Ideal Scenario: The Michelin X-ice Xi3 tires with those Focal F04 Rims will cost about $1,020.
    I don't mind going cheap on rims ( just some extra weight and ugliness, we can live with that) , but NEVER go cheap on tires. I strongly recommend, blizzaks, xice,wintermaxx, wintercontact or something that's been reviewed , used by quite a few users.
    Stink eye mob #682

I talked to discount tire direct and they have 50.00 off the General Arctic winter tires. They are 350.00 shipped for the 205/55/16. The salesman said he knows the sale is good until the end of October. He didn't know if it would carry over.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    Do they clear the snow all the time? If not the Pirellis won't do much good. You will need Blizzaks WS70 or xIce. 16's got more profile. Better for winters. But considering that OEMs are 235 45 17's 55 vs 45 profile is not going to be much of a difference.
    Those Pirellis, or at least the serie II, are much better in the snow than you make them out. When they are newish (as with any snow tire) they do very well.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post
    I did a tire search on tirerack for the size tire that I'm looking for and the only performance oriented winter tires in the 215/55-R16 size are the Pirelli sottozero tires.
    205/55/16 is a much more popular common size. Tirerack brings down 11 results in that. It is a good size for winter tires, and what was OEM on the earlier WRX. I would not see it as a compromise at all for a winter tire. Your speedo may be a bit off (high) and your RPM up a touch at cruising speed, but in trade you get more acceleration at lower speeds.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D is on closeout for $99 ea. If you compare them to the Pirelli series II I have they do similar on performance and rate better in snow. Looks like a hell of a deal.
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-09-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D is on closeout for $99 ea. If you compare them to the Pirelli series II I have they do similar on performance and rate better in snow. Looks like a hell of a deal.
    +1 on Dunlops
    Stink eye mob #682

My current setup for winter is 215/55R16 General Altimax Arctic tires with 16 X 7.5 Elbrus I05 rims. I bought everything from TireRack and have been very satisfied with the performance. I commute an hour each way to work and they have performed extremely well in the snow. While the snow wasn't too bad last year I definitely got to test them out in a few storms. I think they are a good alternative to the more expensive options. Here is a photo of them on the car:

Thanks for the input. Nice pic! Do you guys think 205 is okay compared to 215? There isn't too much difference in price.

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkflip View Post
    My current setup for winter is 215/55R16 General Altimax Arctic tires with 16 X 7.5 Elbrus I05 rims. I bought everything from TireRack and have been very satisfied with the performance. I commute an hour each way to work and they have performed extremely well in the snow. While the snow wasn't too bad last year I definitely got to test them out in a few storms. I think they are a good alternative to the more expensive options.
    Great reply, very useful information. I've decided that I'm gonna go with the 16" Focal rims and 215/55R16 tires most likely the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 because they seem to get the best rating across the board and are the best for gas mileage (low resistance Michelin Green X)
    I appreciate everyone's input.
    Thanks,
    - Joe
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Soon: 2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

Great! I plan to go 17"s on stock wheels as of now. Come spring, I'll get sparcos probably...
    Stink eye mob #682

I live in NY too and am deciding which winter tires to get. I brought my car in for service yesterday and one of the employees was saying that the Blizzaks are good, but they are a little soft on the dry road. He said that the Michelin X-Ice is the best all weather winter tire. I think I may go with those.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast