Winter/Snow Tires - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter/Snow Tires within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by JaySin I've got a G37 so I can appreciate the 350/370Z (my friend has a boosted 350z ...

Winter/Snow Tires

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I've got a G37 so I can appreciate the 350/370Z (my friend has a boosted 350z with about 450HP). What's your take on the Ralliart and the EVO as an owner?? I've been looking into those for a future possibility. Yes, I'm aware of the cheap interiors.
    The ralliart was a lot of fun, but the SST dual clutch trans could be a little annoying sometimes. It seemed to have a major lag when taking off. If you need to get out in traffic it almost feels like you have to punch it and then it feels like it gets too much and throws you back. Not a lot of in between if you need to leave in a hurry but don't want to launch away. I was tuned and it made for a fun car. Although I know it shifted super quick and held the boost. Nobody could match that manually and not rip up the trans.

I wanted the Evo because it seemed like a superior car which in most ways it was. The 5 speed trans was a great transmission and felt good to get back to a manual. The ralliart is a great daily driver but the Evo is too. The Evo is just the total package when it comes to power and performance. I was pretty much stage 2 with the Cobb AP.

I would still have the Evo but the trunk is really tiny since the battery and some fluids are back there plus it came stock with the Rockford sub taking more space. The Ralliart had a lot bigger and usable trunk plus you can't lower the back seats of the Evo.

With a new born it was time to look for something else. We got my wife an outlander GT with the S-AWC. I drove our old nitro for a while. I always like Subarus since my buddy had an 05 STi. I liked the utility and looks of the hatchback so felt it was time to get back into something.

Sorry to drag away from the OP's post!
    Last edited by S20002STI; 10-04-2013 at 11:58 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just got a set of 215/55R16 Blizzak WS70s on 16" steelies. Seems to be the common winter tire fitment many WRX owners go with.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had lm-60s and they were awesome! They drove like summer tires until you had snow, then they drove incredibly in the snow.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post
    I just read up on the general atimax tires:

I do not plan on ever using studs, is it smarter to get a stud-less tire instead? Is there a performance drop when using a studdable tire without the studs?
    There are two types of winter tires - hardcore and "performance". What you are looking for are performance. OUr forum ALWAYS directs people to crappy winter tires (performance wise) that will get you through some epic amount of snow on hills etc. when you don't have a jeep. No one ever stops to inquire whether a more performance winter tire would be more suitable for the poster, but in fact in your case everything is right there in the OP.

I have the earlier version of the Sottozero and I will be replacing them with like. They don't drive as nice as a high performance summer will in the summer, but they are fantastic for winter and are nicer to drive than any high performance all season. Mine lasted VERY well for my area and are going to make it at least part way through the third season. Keep in mind every road here is full of bends, and even my wife kills all seasons in <15K miles. Hell I even ran them one whole summer and did a lot of highway miles at high temp. one year when my financial priorities leaned way away from my car.

Those Generals are not for me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks to me like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is stacking up really well:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	117545

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    I just got a set of 215/55R16 Blizzak WS70s on 16" steelies. Seems to be the common winter tire fitment many WRX owners go with.
    Is that tire size okay to use with the OEM 2002 16's?

Are the 215 just narrower to cut through the deep stuff. Will a person be okay with the original size 205 55R 16

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    Is that tire size okay to use with the OEM 2002 16's?

Are the 215 just narrower to cut through the deep stuff. Will a person be okay with the original size 205 55R 16
    Idk what size I'm going to go with either, Tirerack.com recommends the 215/55R16. From my understanding, winter tires should be a little narrower so the weight is put to a smaller surface area to dig deeper into the snow.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    Soon: 2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It looks to me like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is stacking up really well:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	117545
    Those Michelin X-Ice do score really well. I found them for about $140 each on tire rack. Its a little steep. I was wondering if generic brand tires are really that bad.
    I have Sunny brand all-seasons on my kia and never really had complaints, but its a totally different car. The Sunny SN3830 snows are about $78 each.
    Sunny SN3830 215/55R16 XL 97H BSW (215/55 R16) Winter/Snow Tires | Bizrate
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

For the price those General tires still stacked up pretty good.

My only concern with the general altimax tires are whether or not they were tested with the studs in.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadPunisher View Post
    My only concern with the general altimax tires are whether or not they were tested with the studs in.
    I'm not sure what test exactly you mean, but I still say they probably were not. Studs in tires make a VERY big difference. If you mean the user survey like I posted the screen cap of those are for the vast majority without.

When you try to shop from Tire Rack , go for studless if your state does not allow studs. I know our area in MI does not. You can get studdable and choose not to put studs, but why do that when studless is available?

As one of the posts said, look for performance oriented vs severe snow/ ice traction. Performance offers road grip duirng cold weather. If your roads are plowed daily, I would recommend one of those. But if you live up a hill, pocket roads, suburbs snow traction is the best choice.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    When you try to shop from Tire Rack , go for studless if your state does not allow studs. I know our area in MI does not. You can get studdable and choose not to put studs, but why do that when studless is available?

As one of the posts said, look for performance oriented vs severe snow/ ice traction. Performance offers road grip duirng cold weather. If your roads are plowed daily, I would recommend one of those. But if you live up a hill, pocket roads, suburbs snow traction is the best choice.
    I did a tire search on tirerack for the size tire that I'm looking for and the only performance oriented winter tires in the 215/55-R16 size are the Pirelli sottozero tires.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Mind 17's? There are others. You can still go for steelies. I know 16's can give you more profile, but 17's should still be equally good enough.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    Mind 17's? There are others. You can still go for steelies. I know 16's can give you more profile, but 17's should still be equally good enough.
    I wouldn't mind going with 17's but the problem is that the tires in the 235/45R17 size are a lot more money.
    The Blizzak LM-60s cost $175ea ($700 for the set)
    The 17s just aren't in my budget unfortunately
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast