weird clunking noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird clunking noise within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I have a 2011 wrx and been getting a very loud audible clunking noise which sounds like its coming ...

weird clunking noise

Hey, I have a 2011 wrx and been getting a very loud audible clunking noise which sounds like its coming from the right rear. Only happens when I go up an off camber driveway or entrance to a shopping mall etc...When I go up straight on it doesn't happen. I have whiteline rear sway with kartboy endlinks, cusco rear lower control arms and fortune 500 coilovers. Its not the coilovers because the noise was there before and after I got them. Myself and 2 subaru mechanics have checked the ball joints, endlinks, and all such bolts and everything looks bolted down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very annoying. Here is the Youtube video to here it. It happens right before the mudflap scrape. Wrx clunking noise - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the bushings on the sway secure too? Is there play in the wheel bearings or hub? Consider riding in the back even without the seat as someone safely, slowly drives up and down your driveway so you can hear better from where the noise is coming.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the sway bar bushings are locked in the correct place and secure...The wheel bearings and hub were all checked as well. I guess that is the next step to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also did you check exhaust and it's hangers?

I wonder if the situation is desperate enough to test disconnecting things -- safely of course!

Do you have an inexpensive camera with sound and video and some duct tape? Do the driveway test that way and see?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-02-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah exhaust hangers all good with kartboy extended hangers in place. Don't have a camera but will have a friend drive and check the rear. I was just hoping someone else hadthis problem to quickly fix this. Thanks for your time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.