Question about steel wheels
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about steel wheels within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am thinking about a winter set of wheels and tires for a 2014 WRX. I know our lug pattern ...

I am thinking about a winter set of wheels and tires for a 2014 WRX. I know our lug pattern is 5x100 but what is the offset minimum and maximum offset? I read our offset is 53 mm is that correct?

I posted locally about wanting a set of steel wheels. A guy said he has a set with the the lug pattern but that they are 83 mm offset. Off of a firebird. These would stick out too far wouldn't they? Looking for some help and info on what the minimum and max offset would be. I'm a wheel and tire noob.

Thanks!
    Last edited by S20002STI; 10-01-2013 at 09:27 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Those will actually stick in farther than stock, not out. As far as what will fit your car, i don't know. I don't own that year.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Okay that's why I'm glad I asked, this stuff can be confusing!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes, very!! Basically, It's a measurement from the center line of the wheel. Adding offset (going in the positive direction) will move the wheel inwards toward the car, subtracting offset (going in the negative direction) will move it outwards away from the car.

I guess another question I have are what vehicles will be a direct replacement?

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a suggestion: Either get yourself a nice lightweight set of summer only wheels & tires (expensive), then us the stockers as winter wheels. Or ... find a decent set of used alloys instead of steelies. I personally could not stand looking at my WRX for 4 - 5 months sitting on steelies.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You can always take a hammer to steel wheels... variable offset!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That's a good suggestion. I actually don't mind the look. I think on DGM it doesn't look great but bearable. I also may just trade my summer stock tires in for the new Michelin sport A/S 3's too. I know they won't be amazing in snow but they would be good all around other that. I know some people can't stand the A/S tires but those are getting great reviews.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can also DIY tyre changes: lay the wheel flat on the asphalt, use a piece of wood as a ramp, and drive a car onto the wood over the bead to "break" the bead. Good times.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    That's a good suggestion. I actually don't mind the look. I think on DGM it doesn't look great but bearable. I also may just trade my summer stock tires in for the new Michelin sport A/S 3's too. I know they won't be amazing in snow but they would be good all around other that. I know some people can't stand the A/S tires but those are getting great reviews.
    They may be getting great reviews, but the fact remains: All seasons are no compromise for summer or winter specific tires. Period.

That said, if you live where you don't have real winters, you might be able to get away with a nice set of UHP all seasons. For me, I'm sticking with a winter set on steelies. Don't care about how steelies look in the winter. The car will be covered in winter grime anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You can also DIY tyre changes: lay the wheel flat on the asphalt, use a piece of wood as a ramp, and drive a car onto the wood over the bead to "break" the bead. Good times.
    Sounds like it Also involves banjos and PBR!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Stuff happens.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoy learning about the fun redneck DIYs that SD has performed in his life.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Haha maybe a few drinks involved in the process too.

I found a guy selling some 2002 WRX stock alloys. He said he only wants 100.00 for the set of 4. The only thing is that I have to pay for shipping. Any idea what UPS would charge for this? He said he throught shipping would be 60-70. What do you guys think about this deal. If I got the wheels then I would make them a winter set.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.