guesses on this wheel/tire size?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

This is a discussion on guesses on this wheel/tire size? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wondering if anyone has any guesses on what size wheel and tire are on this WRX. I'm thinking 18" ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20

    guesses on this wheel/tire size?

    Just wondering if anyone has any guesses on what size wheel and tire are on this WRX. I'm thinking 18" wheels? Not sure on the wheel width or tire size. Guesses?

    Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	117281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	117289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	117297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	117305

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Just guessing, but...
    18" diameter
    9-10" width
    45-30 offset.

    245 width tires with a 30 sidewall

  4. #3
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    thanks wreckingball,

    I've got a red 2006 wrx and i just got coilovers. I'm trying to get this exact wheel/tire setup. it looks amazing on the car in the photos, in my opinion.

  5. #4
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Just don't expect it to be the best performance wise. You'll definitely need to roll the fenders too. And don't go out and buy it based on what I said lol, send wheeldude.com a pic of that or ask the owner about the specs.

    It'll take some work to get them to fit like that. I couldn't imagine having that as a daily, with those skinny tires and stiff coilovers I'd be scared of bending my wheels or breaking the tires out of round. And the ride would be harsh, not to mention the chrome finish is one of those VERY expensive limited run colors. Not my tea cup as they say lol. Just my opinion.

    It looks killer!, just too impractical for me. I have a more rough and tumble taste.

  6. #5
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Just don't expect it to be the best performance wise. You'll definitely need to roll the fenders too. And don't go out and buy it based on what I said lol, send wheeldude.com a pic of that or ask the owner about the specs.

    It'll take some work to get them to fit like that. I couldn't imagine having that as a daily, with those skinny tires and stiff coilovers I'd be scared of bending my wheels or breaking the tires out of round. And the ride would be harsh, not to mention the chrome finish is one of those VERY expensive limited run colors. Not my tea cup as they say lol. Just my opinion.

    It looks killer!, just too impractical for me. I have a more rough and tumble taste.

    Those are some good points! I didn't thing of all those issues, and I'm not going to go out and buy wheels/tires just yet... it's going to take a while of research before I drop that kind of money. Any suggestions/ideas on how to get as close to the look of that car and still be a daily driver/occasional autox car? I could ditch the SBC color for starters and just get silver. In terms of size though, what would you think would get as close to that look without having to roll the fenders, worrying about bending the wheels or breaking the tires out of round. The stiff ride won't bother me.

    Thanks!!

  7. #6
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,643
    I Support ClubWRX

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  8. #7
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ...I was close lol.

    A good autoX setup: STi BBS. Or 17x7.5, 8, or 8.5, +45 or greater offset, good tires around a 245/40 size (see rule book for the exact size you would want to run), good alignment.

    to look like picture:What she posted^ plus a fender roll possibly a pull as well, maybe some small spacers, negative camber.

    best daily driver: stock wheels with good all seasons, if you live up north then have a winter set.

    It's up to you how you want to compromise. Considering you want the look, daily friendly, and moderate performance. I would say, don't go wider than 9" (9 is the minimum width where the rpf1's have a concave face, if you go skinnier they become a convex face). Get a good amount of offset, so the +45 sized wheels. Drop the car maybe 1.5 inches.

    Asuming you want the 9" wheel, 245 width tire will be slightly stretched, a 255 width will be dead level with the wheel face. A 40 sidewall is about the most common size and a good compromise that won't be so thin that your wheels will bend more easily (but ride stiffness and tire pressure also play a roll in that). You will have to roll the rear fenders with the setup I mentioned.

    Here's my setup: 17x9 + 45 245/40. I felt it was a good compromise for a daily and weekend autoXer/track car. Post #46104 on page 1845 in the link...it's the black car.

    The Bugeye Thread - Page 1845 - NASIOC

    Maybe someone else will chime in and maybe cover something I could've missed or give you a better suggestion. But if you want your car to look like those pictures then do it lol. This is all just my opinion.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-01-2013 at 10:47 AM.

  9. #8
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,079
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice to look at in images, but way too impractical for the real world. The autox setup mentioned above would work well on the street. Similar to what I've been running for years. I use 2004 STi stock-ish tire and wheel size (225/45/17 on 17" x 8").
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  10. #9
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Thanks for the link!

    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    ...I was close lol.

    A good autoX setup: STi BBS. Or 17x7.5, 8, or 8.5, +45 or greater offset, good tires around a 245/40 size (see rule book for the exact size you would want to run), good alignment.

    to look like picture:What she posted^ plus a fender roll possibly a pull as well, maybe some small spacers, negative camber.

    best daily driver: stock wheels with good all seasons, if you live up north then have a winter set.

    It's up to you how you want to compromise. Considering you want the look, daily friendly, and moderate performance. I would say, don't go wider than 9" (9 is the minimum width where the rpf1's have a concave face, if you go skinnier they become a convex face). Get a good amount of offset, so the +45 sized wheels. Drop the car maybe 1.5 inches.

    Asuming you want the 9" wheel, 245 width tire will be slightly stretched, a 255 width will be dead level with the wheel face. A 40 sidewall is about the most common size and a good compromise that won't be so thin that your wheels will bend more easily (but ride stiffness and tire pressure also play a roll in that). You will have to roll the rear fenders with the setup I mentioned.

    Here's my setup: 17x9 + 45 245/40. I felt it was a good compromise for a daily and weekend autoXer/track car. Post #46104 on page 1845 in the link...it's the black car.

    The Bugeye Thread - Page 1845 - NASIOC

    Maybe someone else will chime in and maybe cover something I could've missed or give you a better suggestion. But if you want your car to look like those pictures then do it lol. This is all just my opinion.
    I've actually had the stock wheel with 225/50 Goodyear Eagle GT's for a few years now, stock suspension with Eibach front&rear sways and end links. The all seasons worked great for Virginia Tech weather and filled out the wheel well nicely. Now, however, I live in NC and am finding out those tires and my suspension are less than ideal for the occasional autox. I've decided to get Apexi coilovers with camber bolts and RPF1's. Basically, I want to know the widest wheel/tire package I can run with coilovers without having to roll the fenders or make any other modificaitons. I've pretty much decided on 17's (I assume I need the 45 offset). The widest 17 inch RPF1 with 5x100 that I can find is the 8 inch. Would these with 245/40 tires rub? Or would I need to run 235/40's to not have to roll the fenders/rub?

    Any suggestions/comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated. I want to be 100% sure of everything before I make any wheel/tire purchases.

    Thanks for all the comments so far.

  11. #10
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Depends on how low you go and also the offset. At about 1.5" drop on 17x8 +45 you would probly have to roll the rears...although you could get away with no roll and it more than likely wouldn't be a problem. The widest you could run without modification would be 17x9 +45 (will rub occasionally), but if you go to +30 you'd definitely have to roll. I've owned both size wheels on 245 tires.

    They make a regular batch of 17x9 +45 in 5x100 if you want a wider wheel. Mine were hard to find and I bought the last set out of that specific run. They should run a batch of that size every 6mo or every year I believe. Although, 8" would probly be better if you are serious about autoX-ing from what I've been told.

    Even so, the width of the wheel is not as important as the actual tire you are running. If you are a serious autoXer go 17x8 +45 with some good tires. If you want the looks of the picture, follow the guy's build thread.

    The car in the pic has a lot more fender and fitment work just for looks, you could do a lot less work and have much better performance, but it wouldn't look as cool lol.

  12. #11
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Depends on how low you go and also the offset. At about 1.5" drop on 17x8 +45 you would probly have to roll the rears...although you could get away with no roll and it more than likely wouldn't be a problem. The widest you could run without modification would be 17x9 +45 (will rub occasionally), but if you go to +30 you'd definitely have to roll. I've owned both size wheels on 245 tires.

    They make a regular batch of 17x9 +45 in 5x100 if you want a wider wheel. Mine were hard to find and I bought the last set out of that specific run. They should run a batch of that size every 6mo or every year I believe. Although, 8" would probly be better if you are serious about autoX-ing from what I've been told.

    Even so, the width of the wheel is not as important as the actual tire you are running. If you are a serious autoXer go 17x8 +45 with some good tires. If you want the looks of the picture, follow the guy's build thread.

    The car in the pic has a lot more fender and fitment work just for looks, you could do a lot less work and have much better performance, but it wouldn't look as cool lol.
    Ah I'm still a bit confused. So you say with a 1.5" drop on 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears... although I could get away with it and it more than likely won't be a problem? ...so I don't have to roll the rears or I do with that wheel and 1.5" drop? Then you say that I could run 17x9 +45 without modification... but a 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears? Sorry I'm so confused. If a 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears how could I possibly run a 17x9 +45. Maybe I'm missing something...

    Is there a noticeable look difference between the 17x8 +45 and the 17x8 +35? Everything I've read pretty much says you have to run the +45 to "maintain the factory spec", but does the +35 version look better?

    Also, what would be the reasoning/difference to run a 17x8 +45 with a 245 tire vs. a 17x9 +45 with a 245 tire?

    Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to have a solid understanding of what the best looking, widest wheel/tire I can run with a modest drop from coilovers with no modification (occasional rub is okay). I only autox occasionally, I'm not super hardcore into it. I just want to be able to perform decent in autox the once or twice a month that I do it. Looking good is just as important.

    Thanks a ton!

  13. #12
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukhard View Post
    So you say with a 1.5" drop on 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears... although I could get away with it and it more than likely won't be a problem? ...so I don't have to roll the rears or I do with that wheel and 1.5" drop? Then you say that I could run 17x9 +45 without modification... but a 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears? Sorry I'm so confused. If a 17x8 +45 I would probably have to roll the rears how could I possibly run a 17x9 +45. Maybe I'm missing something...
    Here's the deal, I'm assuming on either wheel you are running a 245 tire. Tire size is staying the same, so no matter the wheel size you choose (8" or 9"), the tires will still rub, but only occasionally. On a 235, those wheels probably won't rub.

    If the offset goes down to +30, it will move the wheel further away from the car, and increase the amount of rubbing to more than occasionally.

    Is rolling completely necessary? No, but you should do it anyway so you never rub.

    and I'm just estimating an average drop, it's not absolute. But for performance I wouldn't drop it more than an inch or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukhard View Post
    Is there a noticeable look difference between the 17x8 +45 and the 17x8 +35? Everything I've read pretty much says you have to run the +45 to "maintain the factory spec", but does the +35 version look better?
    No, it just sticks out farther. Yes, stick as close to "factory spec" as possible for best performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukhard View Post
    Also, what would be the reasoning/difference to run a 17x8 +45 with a 245 tire vs. a 17x9 +45 with a 245 tire?
    For looks. The 9" and up have a concave face, the 8" and down have a convex face.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-04-2013 at 08:27 AM.

  14. #13
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the straightforward answers. I think that the concave face looks significantly better than convex face, so I'm going to get 17x9 +45 with 245/40's, same as you've got. I guess I'll just have to eventually get the fenders rolled if I rub too much. Do you have any more pictures of your wheels/tires?

    Also, just wanted to check, but after all that we've discussed about wheel/tire fitment, does it all apply to me due to the fact that you have a 2002 and I drive a 2006? Is the wheel well area roughly the same size?

    Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

  15. #14
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    I made a video here:
    Subaru WRX Enkei Hub Centric - Rags to Race - YouTube
    By the way, my videos are secretly sarcastic and are parodies, especially the car videos lol.

    Our body styles aren't that much different. You could have some minor differences in the fenders etc. But not that much.

    TireRack.com has some great tech articles. I suggest you read them and continue to research. You may find out the tire you want to run only exists in certain sizes or any number of other things.

  16. #15
    Registered User Lukhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20
    So I've made the decision to get RPF1's in 17x9 +45 5x100. I'll need 3mm spacers in the front to clear the 2006's 4pots. I talked to another member with a 2006 wrx and 17x9's who confirmed that I'll need at least a 3mm spacer. I'm going to go with 245/40 tires and get the rear fenders rolled once I've got everything together. Now my dilemma is this: It's about $1000 for the silver ones. Or should I get them in SBC (yes, I found some one with the 17x9 +45 5x100) for about $400 more. Do you think it's worth the extra $100 per wheel to get them in SBC? It would be pretty cool because I've never seen anyone on all the forums I've looked at with that size in SBC. Or I could save the $400 and put it towards my coilovers. I can't decide!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •