guesses on this wheel/tire size? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on guesses on this wheel/tire size? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm surprised you would need spacers with that offset....

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm surprised you would need spacers with that offset.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'm surprised you would need spacers with that offset.
    I was surprised too. In this thread on NASIOC (Enkei 17x9 +45 rpf1 & bbk - NASIOC) gusto says that he needed them on his 2006 wrx wagon.

So the $400 difference between the SBC and silver... anyone think it's worth it??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukhard View Post
    I was surprised too. In this thread on NASIOC (Enkei 17x9 +45 rpf1 & bbk - NASIOC) gusto says that he needed them on his 2006 wrx wagon.

So the $400 difference between the SBC and silver... anyone think it's worth it??
    What is SBC?

I have 45+ offset on my car and I have brembo brakes...

Edit - ah looking at those wheels it appears they are set in...for the deep dish look. Makes sense. Glad I don't need spacers.

it stands for "special brilliant coating". the wheels on the car I posted in the first post on this thread are SBC. trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $100 a wheel.

... and those wheels are +45 as well. I don't understand hey he needed spacers but you don't need them on an STi with the exact same wheel.

Why not run the proper offset instead of getting spacers? Just seems more logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Why not run the proper offset instead of getting spacers? Just seems more logical to me.
    Of course... As I stated, I would be getting as close to the stock offset as is offered in that wheel, +45.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukhard View Post
    Of course... As I stated, I would be getting as close to the stock offset as is offered in that wheel, +45.
    I'm not a expert, but since you are going with a much wider wheel then stock the stock offset won't work (proved by needing spacers). Why not get a +48 (if available) as that's what spacers basically do, add positive offset to the wheel.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    I'm not a expert, but since you are going with a much wider wheel then stock the stock offset won't work (proved by needing spacers). Why not get a +48 (if available) as that's what spacers basically do, add positive offset to the wheel.
    I think what he is saying is that +45 is the max offset he can get for that style. The reduction in offset from stock would be partially offset by the wider wheel as far as suspension geometry. I am just surprised that the reduction in offset would require spacers, but that is partially dependent on the design of the wheel itself. I actually have much more room to clear my bremos with a +45 offset wheel than my stock offset, due to the shape of the spokes on the wheel. Looking at the design of the wheels that are being discussed here, the design appears that the spokes are straight with no outward curvature, which is probably what is causing the issue.

Yes, the max offset for the 17x9 5x100 RPF1 is +45. I've been told by someone who put these wheels on his 2006 WRX wagon that I'll need at least 3mm spacers up front. My dilemma at this point is deciding whether the SBC coating is worth the $400 extra. The car that I posted in the first post of this thread has SBC wheels, here's what they look like in regular silver

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes, the design of the wheels are notorious for not fitting under "larger" brakes. They almost always need spacers. Due to the design of the wheel, simply adding offset won't do much or anything for clearance. I would assume by looking at my wheels, to make these fit under large brakes, you would actually have to subtract offset and move the spokes farther away from the car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.