Finally an all-season tire that really does perform as well as summer tires...

This is a discussion on Finally an all-season tire that really does perform as well as summer tires... within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I spent weeks debating on running a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the upcoming winter on my new ...

Finally an all-season tire that really does perform as well as summer tires...

I spent weeks debating on running a 2nd set of wheels and tires for the upcoming winter on my new 2013 WRX hatch or going with a replacement set of all-season tires. I know the consensus around here is to run two sets so you're not compromising on performance or safety in either season. But after reading the glowing reviews of Michelin's new Pilot Sport A/S 3 UHP all-season tires, along with the very competitive pricing on TireRack, I sprung on them. I've only had them on my car for 350 miles or so, but I already love these things. They're considerably quieter and smoother than the stock Dunlops, and there's no loss in performance, cornering ability or grip whatsoever. They just plain stick to the road. Check out the review and test results from the website below from earlier this year. These actually outperformed other brand's summer-only tires, and I can't disagree with any of their opinions. I have no idea how these will perform in the snow since they're so new, but here in Cincinnati we get very little snowfall each year, and if I've been able to make it all these years on cheap all-season tires on my previous FWD cars, I should have no problem with these on an AWD car. I just wanted to throw this out there to others who are on the fence about tire choices.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...162103_700.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tire Test - Evaluating All-Weather Performance Tires - Motor Trend WOT
    2013 WRX 5-door PBP Limited

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't care what the article says. Summer rubber will always perform better in summer over A/S and winter rubber will always outperform an A/S tire in the winter... if an A/S tire performs as well as a summer tire in summer, I can guarantee it won't perform well in the winter.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I don't care what the article says. Summer rubber will always perform better in summer over A/S and winter rubber will always outperform an A/S tire in the winter... if an A/S tire performs as well as a summer tire in summer, I can guarantee it won't perform well in the winter.
    Well, how about I report back once the winter actually gets here? The article had to do with SUMMER performance anyway. That was my point of the thread. Everyone whines about how A/S tires have soft sidewalls and can't corner and are junk in the summer. This is the exception and I can speak from experience. If I lived in one of the more northern states where they actually get decent snowfall and much colder temps, yes, I would have opted for winter tires.
    2013 WRX 5-door PBP Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'd agree. Squishy siped tread will never do well in warm / hot. Sticky smooth wide grooved will do poorly in the snow.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics