Coilovers vs spring/ strut combo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Coilovers vs spring/ strut combo within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my 05 wrx yesterday (my first one!) but it sits pretty high. I was just wondering what ...

Question Coilovers vs spring/ strut combo

I just bought my 05 wrx yesterday (my first one!) but it sits pretty high.
    I was just wondering what is better for performance (street and track), coilovers or springs and struts. I was browsing the other threads but couldn't find what I was looking for. I think from what I found I will get springs and struts but I'm not sure what is a good brand. (I can live with not being able to adjust the height in exchange for a lower price and not having to re align it every time I adjusted the height.) Please let me know what brands you trust or what setup is best to lower an 05 wrx with about 2 or more inches for a good price and good performance.
    Thanks!

(trying to keep up with my brothers e46 m3 and his best friends audi s4 which he just put coilovers on)

mods:
    -carbon fiber hood
    -front mount intercooler
    -HKS SSQV bov
    -HKS up piper/downpipe
    -full exhaust with no cat
    -xxr 518 rims
    -Greddy boost controller
    -AEM digital boost gauge
    -HKS turbo timer
    -Cobb access port with a custom tune
    -Cobb short ram intake
    -brand new clutch stage 2 with a light weight flywheel

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you're willing to spend $2K+ on coilovers, you'll get better street/track characteristics with strut/spring combination for comparable money spent.

Before throwing any parts at the car, you should make sure that:
    1) You're running good tires. This is the only part of the vehicle that touches the tarmac, and if the tires can't grip, $$$ in aftermarket parts won't necessarily help
    2) Alignment. The OE alignment sucks in terms of performance. For $100-150, you can dramatically change the way your car handles.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'm in the same boat as you right now. Trying to figure out which route to take in the suspension department. From what I have been researching lately; unless you are willing to spend the big $$$ on premium coils, it seems like we are better off with a spring/strut combo. Getting a nice set of koni's or even KYB's paired up with some Mach V blues (fastwrx.com) or RCE's seems to be the way to go. I've researched BC and Tein basic coils (both in the $1000 margin). With a spring/strut combo you would be getting a better ride than the coils and performance be just as good if not better than those coils. The drop may not be as dramatic than with coils, but it's the function>form question you'd have to ask yourself. I still have yet to commit to purchasing anything, but if I do in the very near future I will let you know how my set up is. Good luck with everything!

Quote Originally Posted by cab1129 View Post
    (trying to keep up with my brothers e46 m3 and his best friends audi s4 which he just put coilovers on)
    WRX is not in the same class as the M3, unless maybe its on wet roads...

Search a while here, there's plenty of same-flavored threads.

You can't go wrong with Koni strut inserts (not just bolt-on, though) and a spring like RCE.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Agreed. Springs and struts would be better than coilovers unless you're looking to spend a couple grand or more.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    You can't go wrong with Koni strut inserts (not just bolt-on, though) and a spring like RCE.
    We just installed Koni Yellows on my wife's MazdaSpeed3. The performance and ride improvement is indescribable. Cornering is just tremendous and the quality of ride is sublime.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    We just installed Koni Yellows on my wife's MazdaSpeed3. The performance and ride improvement is indescribable. Cornering is just tremendous and the quality of ride is sublime.
    Nice. We may have talked a bit about this at CF, but my brother's got a speed3 as well and is looking to upgrade his suspension setup. Care to share anymore about the ordeal? Springs you paired the Konis with, etc...
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    She has Eibach pro kit installed. The springs were on the car when she purchased it.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    She has Eibach pro kit installed. The springs were on the car when she purchased it.
    Awesome. Thanks. I'll pass that info along for him to look into.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Thanks for the help! looks like I'll be goin with some springs and struts whenever I save up the money.

I went from Tokico dspec and RSR ti-2000 springs to H&R coilovers..

H&R ride way smoother than the other setup and its still firm.. Performance wise on a track I wouldn't know I don't race it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.