Advice on strut and spring combo for a daily driver '03 WRX sedan
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Advice on strut and spring combo for a daily driver '03 WRX sedan within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello Club WRX, I seek the wisdom of the WRX community regarding replacement struts and spring for my '03 WRX ...

Advice on strut and spring combo for a daily driver '03 WRX sedan

Hello Club WRX,

I seek the wisdom of the WRX community regarding replacement struts and spring for my '03 WRX sedan.

Facts

• The car currently has stock struts and springs that are in rough shape (especially the rear) - they made it 85,000 miles
    • I live in the Minneapolis area - so Grand Father Winter is a factor
    • I have 225/45 tires (all-season Potenza's - I'm lazy) on 17x7 wheels (Motegi MR121's)
    • The car is used as a spirited daily driver

Goal

I am looking to get the best quality strut and spring combo that balances comfort and performance, with a modest aesthetic ride height drop for $1600 or so. Additionally, should I use this opportunity to replace stock sway bars? I would spend $400 or so if it would be beneficial for my purposes. Are there any other stock suspension components I should consider replacing at this time?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Lex
    Last edited by L3X3CU710N3R; 09-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    For a daily, I would go stock replacement struts or just a little bit "stiffer." It depends on your tolerance really. Maybe ride in some local owner's cars and see what is too stiff for you.

KYB Excel-G, STi take-offs, or Koni inserts. Anything else and you're approaching more expensive/adjustable/racing focused struts.

Epic Springs, SPT lowering springs, STi pinks, Cobb springs, Mach V springs, Swift springs are all good modest springs that retain some comfort and only a moderate drop.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Have you considered coilovers?
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Thanks, Wreckingball!

If I went with KYB struts should I go with GR-2's or the AGX's? What is an ideal spring pairing for that strut, with balanced performance and comfort (and modest drop) being the objective.

Quote Originally Posted by adam@kronosperformance View Post
    Have you considered coilovers?
    Hey Adam!

My understanding gleaned from researching the forums here is that good coilovers would be more than I would prefer spending. Additionally, coilovers would require a decent amount of care in Minnesota Winters. I think high-quality install and forget components are best for me - I am not intimately familiar with the process of properly tuning a suspension.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L3X3CU710N3R View Post
    Thanks, Wreckingball!

If I went with KYB struts should I go with GR-2's or the AGX's? What is an ideal spring pairing for that strut, with balanced performance and comfort (and modest drop) being the objective.
    AGX are the adjustable option, Gr-2 are the OE replacements (non-adjustable). All the lowering springs I mentioned are compatible with the OE struts (I think). Just take your pic. Do some research and read reviews, see which set gives you what you want as far as ride height, stance, spring rates etc.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some suggestions as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    KYB GR2 struts
    Swift Sport springs
    Whiteline Com-C mounts (F) / New OE tophats (R)
    Camber bolts (R)
    Custom alignment

Sways/endlinks are a great upgrade, and would be worth upgrading. You don't have to do it now, as it won't have any affect on the alignment.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by L3X3CU710N3R View Post
    Hey Adam!

My understanding gleaned from researching the forums here is that good coilovers would be more than I would prefer spending. Additionally, coilovers would require a decent amount of care in Minnesota Winters. I think high-quality install and forget components are best for me - I am not intimately familiar with the process of properly tuning a suspension.
    Only reason I even thought of coilovers is because you said you're looking to spend upwards of $1600. Most people set it to one particular height and never touch them, so you should be fine after that. I've never heard of peoples concern with coilovers and winter areas only for the height being too low for snow driving.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Koni inserts + STi Springs + new tophats + good alignment. This will get you there.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.