Suspension Q : 2012 WRX : struts/shocks/inserts?????
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Suspension Q : 2012 WRX : struts/shocks/inserts????? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi there I have been making small changes to my car (got it last month) and my next project is ...

Suspension Q : 2012 WRX : struts/shocks/inserts?????

Hi there

I have been making small changes to my car (got it last month) and my next project is the suspension. I'm a newbie to autocross and track but even I can tell that I need something better than stock.

My plan was to fit COBB sport lowering springs and sway bars, front and rear. I've ordered the springs, but not the sway bars yet (on backorder). A guy told me today that this will blow the OEM struts fast, so I should do struts while I'm at it, which reading the other threads seems to support. Trouble is, when it comes to struts/shocks/inserts, I am totally clueless!

My question is: What am I looking for? What do I need to get that will be a match for the COBB springs, give me good control on the track, and not knock my teeth out on the road? I need something that's largely bolt-on, because I do the work myself, and not too expensive coz I'm still recovering from buying a bunch of other stuff already.

Also, if I replace the struts/shocks/whatever do I need the sway bars? Do the sway bars make a stack of difference?

Thanks!
    Nicole

Crappy signature that I will make look pretty at some point:
    2012 WRX Premium | COBB AccessPORT v3 Stage 1 | COBB SF Intake | COBB Short Throw Shifter | COBB Sport Lowering Springs
    Member: BMWCCA (CT Chapter), National Auto Sports Assoc
    Attachment 116282
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 994888_10151946117308125_985486602_n.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off that decal on your car looks awesome! Did you design that yourself?

Second, Ive been looking into suspension and from my small amount of reading around, I've found that the RaceCompEngineering Yellows/Black paired with Koni Yellows are a pretty solid setup.

Also if you want to add in whiteline swaybars that would be much help to your body roll.

Havent researched too much into suspension but this is what I know of so far... (not much)

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    First off that decal on your car looks awesome! Did you design that yourself?

Second, Ive been looking into suspension and from my small amount of reading around, I've found that the RaceCompEngineering Yellows/Black paired with Koni Yellows are a pretty solid setup.

Also if you want to add in whiteline swaybars that would be much help to your body roll.

Havent researched too much into suspension but this is what I know of so far... (not much)

Decal: Not my design. I was lucky to find exactly what I wanted by digging around online (thank you, Google)

On topic: Your second paragraph would probably be really useful to me if it made sense. You've lost me completely. Can you translate it into a stupid person dialect?

Google it

RCE springs are what he's referring to...yellows (little stiffer, little more drop) or blacks (regular guys, stiffer, not as much drop as the yellows) paired with Koni Yellow strut inserts are a good bet for suspension.

I honestly wouldn't have done Cobb springs, but there are worse out there.

KYB AGX, Tokico D-Specs, Koni Yellows are some decent options for better struts.

But here's a thought...contact the guys at Turninconcepts.com (or give em a call)...tell them what you want, and listen to them. They preach gospel.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.